Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i get itunes to read my CDs again

I cannot get iTunes to read my CDs. It keeps telling me to reinstall iTunes, and I did, but it still will not read my CDs

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 8:17 PM

1 reply

Apr 10, 2014 6:36 AM in response to wesley254

Hey there wesley254,

It sounds like your audio cds are not being seen in iTunes when you insert them into your drive. I would use the troubleshooting in the following article about that very subject:

iTunes for Windows doesn't recognize my audio CDs

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1584

Verify Windows recognizes your optical drive

If Microsoft Windows recognized your optical drive, but doesn't recognize it now, follow the instructions in iTunes for Windows: Optical drive is no longer recognized, or "Disc burner or software not found" alert after install.

Check for software updates

Microsoft or your computer's manufacturer may have released updated software. Check to see if there are updates to Windows or to the software that controls the drive. Check your computer manufacturer's website for updates, particularly for updates to the CD or DVD drive. If you bought the drive separately from the computer, check the drive manufacturer's website. In some cases, software drivers for other devices (such as video and sound cards) could affect how the CD or DVD drive works. Make sure your video and sound cards have the most current drivers.

Check for firmware updates

From time to time manufacturers publish updates to a CD or DVD drive's internal software (known as firmware). Check your computer manufacturer's website for firmware updates first. This is important because the internal drives used by some companies (including Dell) require special firmware. If an update is not available from the computer manufacturer, check with the company that made the drive. In some cases, firmware for other devices (such as video and sound cards) could affect how the CD or DVD drive works. Make sure your video and sound cards have the latest firmware as well.

Important

Additional steps
If you have more than one optical drive, try using iTunes with each drive.

Burner software conflicts
If iTunes had previously been working and you recently installed some software that also includes CD burning capabilities (including Napster, Audible, or other online music store software), you may need to do a Repair installation of iTunes.

If iTunes still does not recognize audio CDs after you try these steps, it is possible that third-party software has installed device filters on your computer that are contributing to this issue. Learn more about device filters and how to resolve issues they cause.

To assist Apple in identifying affected drives, please provide feedback by running CD Diagnostics in iTunes
Click here for more information.

iTunes for Windows: Can't Import or Play Music From Audio CD

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

how can i get itunes to read my CDs again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.