Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't start mac with new SSD

Hello,

Give me some help if you can please.

What happened:

My mac pro was acting slow and freezing so I took it to apple. They wiped the ssd clean and told me my it was bad. They wanted to charge a bunch to replace it so I figured I'd try to do it. I heard it wasn't too hard.

Problem:

How do I get it to work? Haha.

I put it in. Reformatted it. I can't clone the old drive assuming because it was wiped clean by apple. I can only work from internet repair (holding option) right now. I tried to download osx and that won't work. I tried to do a time machine back up and that won't work. I can see the drive in disk utility and I can erase it and reformat it all day... What am I missing?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 8:47 PM

13 replies

Apr 7, 2014 9:15 PM in response to tsapp960

tsapp960,

if you have a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro, and your SSD has been completely erased, then you’ll need to boot from your MacBook Pro’s grey Mac OS X Install DVD to install Snow Leopard onto your SSD, then boot from it and run Software Update to get it up to Mac OS X 10.6.8, at which point you can download and install a newer version of OS X from the Mac App Store if desired.

Apr 8, 2014 8:44 AM in response to tsapp960

tsapp960,

so at this time, if you look at your SSD in Disk Utility, does it have only a single partition on it, formatted as “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”, with a partition map scheme of “GUID Partition Table”, with no recovery partition currently on it? Or do any of those details differ from your SSD’s current setup?

Can't start mac with new SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.