Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VMware Fusion 6 (v 6.0.2), 15" MacBook Pro Retina (late-2013), and Windows 8.1

Does anyone the best recommended settings for the items listed in the subject line? Resolution looks so small. I installed Windows 8.1 Pro on my late-2013 15" MacBook Pro (MBP) via VMware's Fusion 6 (version 6.0.2).

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 9:34 PM

2 replies

Apr 7, 2014 10:09 PM in response to MJMP1

If you used VMware Fusion to install Windows, first make sure you have installed VMware Tools in Windows. Read > http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=display KC&externalId=1003417

Then, you will be able to change the Windows resolution as usual. In Windows, right-click in the desktop and select "Screen resolution". There are other ways to do this > http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/get-best-display-monitor.

There are not best recommended settings because it depends on the hardware of your computer: for example, if you have got 8 GB of RAM, you can assign 4 GB of RAM to the virtual machine (depending on the applications you use), or if you have got a Quad-Core processor with Hyper-Threading, you can assign more processor threads to the virtual machine so you can improve performance.

Apr 8, 2014 2:50 PM in response to mende1

Thank you for the information.

I already have VMware Tools installed. What my question really revolves around is the issue surrounding the resolution. Is there a "recommended" setting to use while on a 15" MacBook Pro Retina?

When I follow the directions on the second link you provided, I do not see the "recommended" resolution. Instead, I see a warning that the resolution is about to be set under 1536 x 1080 which will cause some items to not fit on the screen.

Everything on the screen is so small. Even when I set the font to 200%, everything is still "small" and hard to read on the MacBook Pro Retina screen.

Any other suggestions?

VMware Fusion 6 (v 6.0.2), 15" MacBook Pro Retina (late-2013), and Windows 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.