Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 350mHz will not start up. Is it DEAD?

I went on holiday and left my Mac on. When I returned the on button was glimmering (as usual) but the Mac would not respond. I forced quit by pressing the startup button. After it turned off, it has not started up again. What I get is the following: After pressing the button, the button briefly turns yellow (< 1 sec), there is a crackle sound, and then it turns off. The monitor never turns on, although there is a brief static sound. I have a good electrical connection. I've tried the button tricks to no avail. I tried to slot load a CD, but it does not take (a lot of resistance and I don't want to force it). I had an external drive that is fine (Thank goodness for this file backup!).<br>
iMac 350Mz Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Aug 19, 2006 8:21 PM

11 replies

Aug 21, 2006 7:07 AM in response to Duane

Hi Duane,
thanks for your input. I only had this problem once. It was a Performer with a dead battery and it definitely wouldn't boot anymore (after displaying the usual symptoms - system clock resetting itself - of the battery dying). At least in that case there was nothing unpredictable about it: once it was truly drained -> no boot. IMHO however, in the case of the "dead" iMac it is worth to check as this is an easy and inexpensive possible fix.
-Petra

Aug 21, 2006 11:56 AM in response to Petra Lehmann

Hi Petra and others!
Note that whenever I press the on button there is a flash of light in the button, a brief sound (not a boot), and then dead. The screen never comes on. If the battery were dead, wouldn't I get NOTHING at all?
Second, I just called an apple service guy and he indicated that this is usually a bad 'video board' (cost of $200! to replace). Does this make any sense?
Ray

Aug 23, 2006 7:35 AM in response to raynan

Hi Ray,
that is just too bad. Sometimes you get lucky and it is just the battery:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=610089
Alas, in your case it seems to be a more severe hardware issue that can only be tackled by an Apple service provider at some cost. Maybe you should check ebay for a replacement iMac (you can buy them for as low 50 $).
I am sorry,
-Petra

iMac 350mHz will not start up. Is it DEAD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.