Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes crashes randomly during Apple TV Streaming

Hi folks,

I expirienced recently a couple of times, that iTunes on my MacMini (which is used as Media Server to provide my iTunes Library to Apple TVs and other Macs at home) simply crashed during I was watching a movie via Apple TV. The Mac simply showed the message, that the app was closed and I can then choose to restart it.

I have my setup since a couple of years and never changed a setting, it happened either while streaming via 2nd generation Apple TV and also on the 3rd generation Apple TV.

I'm running Mavericks on my Mac Mini, the itunes library files are on the internal hdd, while the media files are on an external drive and I got quite a lot of movies as I record also from TV via TV stick from Elgato on the Mac. (Mac is used also as file and music server and running 24/7)

It did never happen before and it started one or two months or so and it happens only randomly once once in a while. I haven't had any issue now for one week and it happened now two times in two days.

I am wondering as it was working like a charm in the past, never had any issue. I already repaired permissions on the system drive and also used the normal repair function, even deleted the iTunes settings files etc.

It does not happen, when I stream music to my Airport Express, which is connected to my surround system, it does seem only to happen during movie streaming.

It looks to me as if some update in the past lead to that behaviour and I really do not want to make any clean mavericks installation on my Mac Mini, as this would cost me hours again of setting everything up, without any guarantee that the problem will be gone afterwards.

Has anybody else expirienced such problems?

Thanks

Bernhard

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 11:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 6:22 AM

I have a similar set up running the latest iTunes in Mavericks 10.9.2 with lots of video content on an external drive. In the last couple of months iTunes crashes randomly while streaming to AppleTV. I restart iTunes and all is wel again until next time.

In addition to the things you tried, I also did a SMC and PRAM resets. It seemed to work for about 2 or 3 days, but then started again. Usually crashes about every other day. I had been using the same setup for a couple of years and had very few problems until recently.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2014 6:22 AM in response to bwinter

I have a similar set up running the latest iTunes in Mavericks 10.9.2 with lots of video content on an external drive. In the last couple of months iTunes crashes randomly while streaming to AppleTV. I restart iTunes and all is wel again until next time.

In addition to the things you tried, I also did a SMC and PRAM resets. It seemed to work for about 2 or 3 days, but then started again. Usually crashes about every other day. I had been using the same setup for a couple of years and had very few problems until recently.

Apr 13, 2014 12:48 PM in response to bwinter

I should add that I have 2 iMacs. Both are running the latest Mavericks and iTunes. Both run iTunes continuously, but only one is frequently streaming to AppleTV. That one is crashing. The other one never crashes. So it's either caused by the AppleTV streaming, or there is something else about these 2 machines that is different. They each have different apps and different usage patterns, so who knows.

Just as in your case, the crashing started recently. I had this set up for a couple of years before that without this problem.

iTunes crashes randomly during Apple TV Streaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.