Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Time Capsule and Netgear N600

Ok, after four hours I have to concede defeat. I have a Netgear N600 configured for my internet and I just bought a Airport Time Capsule. I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to get the Aiport connected to the internet.

I have run through the setup (several times) but to no avail. I believe I need to have the N600 in a bridge mode but cannot seem to set this up at all, or when I did it does not seem ot work.

I thought I was fairly IT literate but I really cannot see where I am going wrong.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Oh this is on a MacBook Air so I cannot connect by LAN to my router,not sure if this is compounding the problem or not.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 12:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 4:00 AM

You have it backwards, google for the instructions

Factory reset both netgear and apple boxes

Turn off wifi on netgear

Connect netgear to apple with an ETH cord in the apple wan port

Open airport utility and setup apple to create a new network, double check under network tab that Apple is in bridge mode

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2014 4:00 AM in response to StuMcG

You have it backwards, google for the instructions

Factory reset both netgear and apple boxes

Turn off wifi on netgear

Connect netgear to apple with an ETH cord in the apple wan port

Open airport utility and setup apple to create a new network, double check under network tab that Apple is in bridge mode

Apr 8, 2014 3:30 PM in response to turbostar

Firstly , many thanks for your response. Apologies as I was not clear in my initial email.

My Netgear is currently my (ADSL+) modem+router, I want to move to it being my modem only and my Airport as router.

I have followed your instructions as above, and as per the Airport, however if I reset the netgear then I lose my internet connection settings (ISP Username/password) and therefore connection.

If I turn on AP mode on the netgear this doesn't seem to work and I cannot see why, same if I change the netgear to modem only from modem+router. This issue is further compunded by the fact that both of these settings seem to turn off wireless and I can no longer access the Netgear GUI from my MacBook Air.

Believe me when I say I have googled it! I think I know what I'm supposed to do, and indeed I beleive I am doing it, but I cannot seem to come out with the end result of the Airport being connect to the internet.

Sorry and many thanks again.

Apr 8, 2014 4:08 PM in response to StuMcG

My Netgear is currently my (ADSL+) modem+router, I want to move to it being my modem only and my Airport as router.

If you configure the Netgear as a modem, then you will not be able to access the Netgear administration interface unless you then reset the Netgear back to default settings.

Also, if you configure the Netgear as a modem, then the Time Capsule must be configured to Connect Using = PPPoE using your ISP user name and password.

Complicated.....but it can be done if the Netgear really can be configured to act as a simple modem.

Life would be tons easier if you set up the Netgear normally as a modem/router and then configured the Time Capsule to connect in Bridge Mode to the Netgear.

If you do not want to use the wirelss capability of the Netgear, it will be a simple matter to turn off the wireless function on the Netgear and use the Time Capsule wireless. But....you may not need to do this unless the Time Capsule network and Netgear network are creating interference issues with each other.

Why not try the simple setup for a few days to see if it will do what you want? It does not really matter whether the Netgear or Time Capsule is acting as the router for the network.....unless there is some special setup that requires that the Time Capsule be configured to act as the network router.

If you want to try the simple setup, get the Netgear back up and running normally as a modem/router and make sure that the network is running correctly. Then, post back and we will set up the Time Capsule to work with the Netgear.

Apr 8, 2014 5:33 PM in response to StuMcG

one of the things confusing me was BRIDGE MODE as I thought it was the Netgear I had to put into Bridge mode.

The Netgear would be in bridge mode, or more correctly modem mode....IF....the Time Capsule was setup to be the network router.

Since you have the Netgear set up to be the router, then it is the Time Capsule that should be in bridge mode.

Here is how to set up the Time Capsule (TC).....

Power off the TC for a minute or two

Hold in the reset button first, and keep holding it in for an additional 10 seconds while you simultaneously plug the power back into the TC

Release the reset button on the TC after the hold period, and allow a full minute for the TC to restart to a slow, blinking amber light

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> ports on the Netgear to the WAN "O" port on the TC

On your Mac.....open up Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on Other WiFi Devices

Click on Time Capsule

The setup utility will open up automatically and take a minute to analyze the network. Then it will display a screen that looks like the shot below, except you will see a Time Capsule icon

User uploaded file

Network Name......Enter a simple name that you want to call your wireless network

Base Station Name....Enter a simple name that you want to assign to your Time Capsule device

Password....Enter a password that will be used both as the wireless network password and the device password

Verify.....Verify the password

Click Next

The utility will take a minute to configure things for you. The Time Capsule will automatically be set up correctly in bridge mode during this process.

When you see the message of setup complete, click Done

Now log on to the new network that you created and test things out.

Airport Time Capsule and Netgear N600

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.