Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I save my password protected file in a password protected folder?

I've just encrypted my folder which contains password protected files. I've attempted to save a new password protected file (Word document) but have had to save it to my desktop because when I try to save the file to the folder I receive a message: "Word cannot save or create this file. The disk may be full [which it is not] or write-protected [which it is]". Sooooooo. Does this mean I can only password protect the folder and not the files? Which is really annoying because I really do need the two levels of security. Please can someone help?

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 2:47 AM

13 replies

Apr 8, 2014 10:13 AM in response to Agent Ruby

Agent Ruby,

which software are you using to encrypt your folder? If that software write-protects the folder as part of its encryption mechanism, then it seems as though you’ll need to decrypt the folder, make changes to a file within the folder, and then reëncrypt the folder to maintain your preferred double layer of security each time you need to create or modify a file within the encrypted folder.

Apr 9, 2014 6:50 PM in response to Agent Ruby

Agent Ruby,

thanks for the clarification. What you’re doing is creating an encrypted disk image in Disk Utility, rather than creating an encrypted folder using the old version of FileVault. To be able to save an encrypted Word document inside of your encrypted disk image, you’ll need to take the following steps:

1. Open the disk image by double-clicking it, and provide the disk image’s password when requested;
  2. In Word, save your encrypted document into the opened disk image by choosing the disk image as the destination folder into which the encrypted document should be saved;
  3. Close the disk image, either by dragging the disk image’s icon from your desktop to the Trash, or by clicking on its close button in the Finder’s sidebar.

Apr 10, 2014 1:53 AM in response to Melophage

Thanks for this, Melophage.

I followed your instructions to the letter despite this being what I did yesterday and I received the same error message.

I really don't mind if itI save to the disk image or not. I just want to be able to password protect a folder, and then password protect the files inside. If I were to start from scratch is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks for your patience.

Why can't I save my password protected file in a password protected folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.