Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

US unlocked iPhone 5S LTE Europe

Hello,

I went through lots of discussion forums here on Apple site and other webs and still didn't found clear answer for this:

My friend from US is planning to visit me in Czech Republic.

He bought iPhone 5S directly from Apple in US, It is version A1533 GSM, unlocked to any operator. He is using T-Mobile in US.

If he uses roaming in Europe it will be very costly (calling is not so expensive but data roaming usually is - and he will be using mainly maps and navigation, social networks etc.) So to save money he is planning not to use roaming in Europe but buy prepaid (pay as you go) SIM card from local Czech mobile operator - probably T-Mobile (Telefonica is another local operator with good LTE speed and coverage but doesn't have certification for LTE from Apple yet)

Now if I look into list of supported LTE networks by Apple

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Czech T-Mobile is in list of available operators but it is listed only for model sold in Europe.

The question is if it will be available with phone originaly for US market. The LTE bands should be fine - there are even less frequencies used in Europe than in US. What worries me is the list of available LTE networks connected to particular iPhone model. And now I'm trying to figure out if the LTE in Czech network with SIM card of Czech mobile operator will be working when using iPhone 5S bought in US (model A1533).

To summarize the questions:

1. Will US unlocked version of iPhone 5S support LTE in Europe with Czech SIM card - in mobile network that is listed in LTE supported networks?

2. Will US version of iPhone 5S support LTE in Europe when using roaming with "home" SIM card of US mobile operator?

And in this case I guess I still have to choose roaming operator that is listed as supported in Apple's LTE network list - if I use mobile network that is not listed as supported it won't work, eg. when I'm customer of US AT&T and I'm in Czech Republic, if I choose to roam using Telefonica's network (they have LTE but this network is not listed in Apple as supported LTE network) than the LTE will not work.

Thanks a lot for help

Kind regards,

Milan

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1, Using iTunes 10.5.3 x64 on Win7

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 4:13 AM

5 replies

Apr 8, 2014 5:47 AM in response to Milan Lukes

It is very difficult to say.

1. Read Foot Note no 3 of the LTE Doc you refered.

2. You will observe that LTE band 7 is missing in the US model

3. Since Telefonica's network are non-supported, there could be always be issues for LTE reception.

As such it would be only by trial.

As I visualize there is good chance that LTE would be available if not operated on Band 7 in Czech Republic and also using same technology.

AFA Roaming with 'home' SIM inside is concerned, it can be confirmed from the operator of home network as to who is their business partner. This may give you some pointer.

Best

Message was edited.

Apr 8, 2014 6:05 AM in response to RajaRani

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, exactly - I read tons of text and still don't know, even the Foot note no3 does not answer this question.

Hope someone tried that already and can give me feedback from real life.

I tried call to Apple Czech this morning and they were not sure but told me it might work. I don't want to know it might work, someone from Apple should be confident with the answer 🙂

There is second option: I have to wait till friend comes to Prague and than we can give a try.

m.

Apr 8, 2014 7:20 AM in response to Milan Lukes

Milan Lukes wrote:

....even the Foot note no3 does not answer this question. ...I tried call to Apple Czech this morning .... from Apple should be confident with the answer 🙂

Foot Note clearly tells that you just can't be sure. As already stated, it is not Apple who will resolve this riddle. It is the carrier(s).

I said in my concluding remark:

Let your friend check with all US operators, (who use his model of iPhone 5S, beginning with T-Mo his current carrier) "Which Czech Carrier will provide LTE service if he is their customer in US while he is on Roaming there ?"

Best

US unlocked iPhone 5S LTE Europe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.