Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to install Mavericks, however, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all say no

Presently I have a 10.6.8 with Snow Leopard: now I want to install Mavericks, however, Firefox, Safari & Chrome all say that they cannot read it's Apple address, and that I need to acquire compatible software - any ideas?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 5:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 5:10 AM

How are you attempting to obtain Mavericks? Your web browsers should not be involved in the process, instead you need to obtain Mavericks from the Mac App Store.

16 replies

Apr 8, 2014 5:13 AM in response to Edmund0000

Not sure why you are seeing a message like that from browsers, you do not get Mavericks from a browser. You need to open the Mac App Store to locate and download Mavericks.

Make sure your MacBook is compatible with Mavericks: http://www.apple.com/osx/specs because the Apple servers will not allow you to do the download if it is not compatible.

Also remember that some software will not run with Mavericks if it is the legacy software that requires Rosetta which was terminated after Snow Leopard.

Apr 8, 2014 5:32 AM in response to Edmund0000

Edmund0000 wrote:

Coincidence: "RALPH" is part of my {double-barrelled} surname

Guess that obligates me to post again 😁

Go to the apple left side of the menu bar, About This Mac, More Info, System Report, Hardware and what does it say for the Model Identifier? To use Mavericks it must be at least MacBook5,1 or higher. If it is lower than McBook5,1 it cannot download Mavericks, or Mountain Lion for that matter.

Apr 23, 2014 5:28 AM in response to Edmund0000

If your MaBook has the Intel Core 2 Duo and at least 2 GB of ram (4 GB is significantly better) you have to buy a download code ($20) for Lion from the Apple telephone sales operation...in the US that is 1-800-MY-APPLE. After a few days they send the download code and instructions in an email. With 10.6.8 you can then go to the Mac App Store and download 10.7.5, which gives native access to iCloud.

I want to install Mavericks, however, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all say no

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.