Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[HELP] Windows 7 Boot Camp Boot Problem?

Hi,

I have a problem when booting windows 7 after installing it using bootcamp.

Here is what i did:

1) Used Boot Camp assistant to "Install Windows 7 or later version" (Last tick box option) - This also partitioned my drive.

2) While Windows 7 was installing it rebooted several times, I held the option key to select the Windows 7 instlltion disk for every reboot.

3) Once Windows 7 had finished installing I installed Boot Camp 5 for Windows 7.

However everytime I restart my Macbook Pro it boots into OSX Mavericks fine, When I go to startup disk there is no option to select the Windows 7 Boot Camp partition.

When I hold the option key while turining on my Macbook Pro I get the option to select the Windows 7 Partition, but when i select it I get a grey folder with a question mark. However when I turn on my Macbook Pro (with the Windows 7 installation disk inserted) holding the option key, when i select the Windows 7 disk it boot the Windows 7 partition fine?

I have installed reFind and tried that but I get an error: http://puu.sh/80FZt.jpg

What can I do to fix this? I want to be able to boot into Windows 7 without having the Windows 7 installation disk in the SuperDrive, and i also want to have the startup disk preferences to display the Windows 7 partition.

Thanks in Advance

Harvinder

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 4:45 AM

21 replies

Apr 8, 2014 7:01 AM in response to turbostar

Yes turbostar I followed the instructions very closly.

Yes I am able to boot back into OSX perfectly fine, I just cant boot into Winodws 7 parition without having the installation disk in the SuperDrive and selecting to boot from the disk using the option key.

I have tried deleteing the parition and starting over several times, but I keep getting the same result.

Apr 8, 2014 10:16 AM in response to turbostar

Ok, I have done what you have both said (bobthefisherman & turbostar):

1) Deleted Windows 7 partition with BCA

2) Selected all 3 options in BCA, which created a USB install and it also partitioned my HDD

3) I waited for it to reboot and then it came up with a grey fold with a question mark in it

I never intervened with it in any way.

How do i fix this now? Any further suggestions?

Thanks

Harvinder

Apr 8, 2014 12:03 PM in response to Harvinder09

make backups of your data, we may need to reinstall OSX

which specific macbook pro do you have, does it have a superdrive built in or not

where did you get your windows 7 media? is it a retail cd or something else

EDIT - while you're at it, go here and download the correct ISO for your installation key

http://techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/

Apr 9, 2014 4:30 AM in response to Harvinder09

this is where you'll just follow the instructions but befofre you start, do 2 things

open bca, make sure that the 3rd option doesn't read "delete" - if it does, select that and let it remove windows

open disk utility, make sure that you only have 1 partition under your HD on the left side, unless you renamed it would be 'macintosh HD' - if you have more than 1 partition, you will need to delete the others and combine them all into that 'mac HD' partition before bca will proceed with the windows install

Apr 9, 2014 7:41 AM in response to Harvinder09

i have a feeling you don't have this handy so here it is http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1583/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_ 10.7.pdf - look at this before you start because there are some steps in the Windows install process that will require you to make manual changes

as for now, you should check box 2 (get support software) and 3. you need a usb flash drive (make sure it is usb2) plugged into the machine so it can save the support software to it.

Apr 9, 2014 10:03 AM in response to turbostar

I have done everything as you stated and I followed the instructions on the PDF.

However when Windows 7 finishes installing it reboots (first reboot) and I get the same thing as before which is a screen with a grey folder with question mark in it. The screen then goes black and then I get a white screen which say press any key to boot from CD or DVD (white text on black background on white screen).

Now what do I do?

Im not sure what is causing this?

Thanks

Harvinder

[HELP] Windows 7 Boot Camp Boot Problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.