Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My frame size on play back has suddenly got narrower and I can't change it

I'm relatively recent to final cut pro 10 but I've edited several projects recently, they all automatically went to wide screen and when I exported them, the video filled the entire screen. This week I edited a new project and exported it and now there is a black frame around the video instead of it filling the screen. I then noticed that on my older projects the playback screen on final cut pro filled the entire window in widescreen and then on this new project it didn't, but instead two grey strips on either side made it wide screen.

So now anything that I export does not fill the screen. I can't find anything that helps me change back the settings. I don't even know how it changed in the first place, any suggestions welcome.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 5:47 AM

6 replies

Apr 8, 2014 6:01 AM in response to tomwardthomas

The software is designed so that the first clip edited to the timeline will determine the project properties – including the frame size and shape – unless you specify custom. If you edit a 4x3 clip into a 16x9 timeline, it will not fill the frame. Instead you willmget bars on each side which is called pillarboxing.

When I create a new project here is what I get for choices:

Final Cut will set automatically.

User uploaded file

Or I can use Custom settings and set them myself.

User uploaded file

You can also verify that the settings are what you want in the Share dialog when you export.

Russ

Apr 8, 2014 6:13 AM in response to Russ H

Thanks Russ, is that on final cut 10? When I start a new project it doesn't give me those options. The first clip on the time line is actually a wide screen clip from the same collection of footage as the other stuff that I edited before, so surely it should have the same frame settings? Unless it's too do with the subtitle title that actually precedes the clip? Although the title is not on the timeline it's above.

My frame size on play back has suddenly got narrower and I can't change it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.