Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compiling: libpango-1.0.dylib has no table of contents on Mac OS X 10.5 PPC

I am trying to build pango-1.36.3 as a dynamic library for Mac OS X 10.5 PPC. This is part of the dependencies I am putting togther, so I can build my own copy of the GIMP. I have built my own GIMP in the past and have had no problems compiling Pango. However, this time, the build fails when trying to link the executable pango-querymodules.

I get an error telling me that I have some undefined symbols. These symbols should be in the copy of libpango-1.0.dylib that was just built. When I find that library and run otool -Tv on it I find that it has no table of contents. When I tried otool -tv to disassemble the text section I find that the symbols are indeed there, but there is an empty table of contents so the library cannot be linked against. I was able to complete the compile when building only static libraries, but I do not want to use this build as the OSX "way" is to use dynamic libraries. I am on a newer installation of OSX 10.5 than when I built Pango earlier, so something must be awry in my build system. BTW, this also happens when trying to build GDK-Pixbuf, another Gnome library. I have not found anything useful on Google after hours of searching.

Can anybody give me a pointer as to where to look to fix this problem?

15" Aluminum Powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 1.25 GHz, 1 GB Ram

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 4:33 AM

3 replies

Apr 8, 2014 5:18 PM in response to stargood

Hmmm, no expert, but...

/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -dynamiclib -o .libs/libpangocairo-1.0.0.2106.0.dylib .libs/libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangocairo-context.o .libs/libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangocairo-font.o .libs
/libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangocairo-fontmap.o .libs/libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangocairo-render.o .libs/libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangocairo-fcfont.o .libs
/libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangocairo-fcfontmap.o .libs/libpangocairo_1_0_la-module-defs-atsui.o .libs/libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangoatsui.o .libs
/libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangoatsui-fontmap.o .libs/libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangocairo-atsuifont.o .libs/libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangocairo
-atsuifontmap.o -L/opt/local/lib ./.libs/libpango-1.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgmodule-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libglib-2.0.dylib
/opt/local/lib/libintl.dylib /opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib -L/usr/X11R6/lib /opt/local/lib/libcairo.dylib /opt/local/lib/libz.dylib /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.dylib /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.dylib -lSM -lICE /opt/local/lib/libpixman-1.dylib /opt/local/lib/libglitz.dylib /opt/local/lib/libpng12.dylib
/opt/local/lib/libXrender.dylib -lX11 -lm ./.libs/libpangoft2-1.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libpango-1.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libfontconfig.dylib /opt/local
/lib/libexpat.dylib /opt/local/lib/libfreetype.dylib -lz -framework CoreFoundation -framework Carbon -framework Cocoa -Wl,-framework -Wl,CoreServices -Wl,-framework -Wl
,ApplicationServices -Wl,-framework -Wl,CoreServices -Wl,-framework -Wl,ApplicationServices -Wl,-framework -Wl,CoreServices -Wl,-framework -Wl,ApplicationServices -Wl
,-framework -Wl,CoreServices -Wl,-framework -Wl,ApplicationServices -install_name /opt/local/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.0.dylib -compatibility_version 2107 -current_version
2107.0 -Wl,-exported_symbols_list,.libs/libpangocairo-1.0-symbols.expsym
ld: Undefined symbols:
_cairo_has_show_text_glyphs
/usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libtool: internal link edit command failed

I believe this is due to an API change that is fixed in the new pango-1.22.0 so an upgrade is probably called for.

http://trac.macports.org/query?status=closed&page=278&order=owner&row=descriptio n

Or posibly repost over here...

https://discussions.apple.com/community/developer_forums

Apr 9, 2014 2:12 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you for the response, BDAqua. I actually was using the latest stable Pango tarball, pango-1.36.3. I even cloned Pango's GIT master and tried to compile that, with the same problem. As I said in my original post, I am having the same problem when I try to compile GDK-Pixbuf. I have compiled both projects successfully in the past so I am inclined to believe that the fault lies not with Pango, but with some component in my local build system.

I was hesitant to post in the developer forums because this is really an end user problem, but perhaps i will try that. Before that, I think I might post on the Xcode mailing list, which is for anyone using the Xcode suite of tools, which I am. I did not see a forum community for Xcode.

Compiling: libpango-1.0.dylib has no table of contents on Mac OS X 10.5 PPC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.