Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Screenshare (Bad rectangle size)?

Hi all,

For a long time now I've used screen sharing (and sometimes Apple Remote Desktop) to control my computers over the network.

Recently I haven't been able to connect to my iMac from any of my computers. The screensharing application opens, and does nothing. ARD says connecting, but stops after a number of minutes.

I took a look in Console and it gets FLOODED with "Screen sharing: zlib codec - bad rectangle size. Closing Connection"

All other computers on my network talk to each other file and the iMac can control everyone else fine, it just can't be controlled.

All sharing settings are enabled as they should be. I've reset network to a new location, reset PRAM, reset disk permissions and ACLs. I've pulled any relevant plist or cache files for screensharing, and still nothing can get control of this iMac.

To test it out, I got TeamViewer and was able to control the iMac from another computer on the network... however I can't use this as a replacement for ARD.

Got any ideas what that console error message is after?

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 6:01 AM

8 replies

Apr 8, 2014 6:34 PM in response to Linc Davis

Safe mode had the same results.

I'l try a reinstall later this evening when i don't need the machine.

I've made a screen cap of the issue. Does this ring any bells for something you might have seen before? (Just trying to avoid the reinstall).

This was filmed on the iMac in question while controling a MacBook Air that's attempting to gain control. That way I can show you both the results on the MBA and what happens in the menu icon on the iMac.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/muyzt812yevr5lw/Screensharing.mov

Funnily enough, now my MacBook Pro can gain control no problem. (MacBook air is 11", Macbook pro is 17" and iMac is a 27" with a 27" thunderbolt display attached... incase "Bad rectangle" has anything to do with it.)

Cannot Screenshare (Bad rectangle size)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.