Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought an unlocked iPhone 5 in the US. It's not working in Japan. Is there a limit I'm not aware of?

I bought an unlocked iPhone 5 in the US. Reluctantly Japan's Softbank agreed to activate it with a SIM card for me. But it didn't work, and instead I got this error message:

SIM Not Valid

The SIM card that you currently have in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information.

I bought this phone on eBay, it was listed as unlocked. Is this an international thing? Thanks to any and all that can help.

iPhone 5, Unlocked, in Japan

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 8:37 AM

1 reply

I bought an unlocked iPhone 5 in the US. It's not working in Japan. Is there a limit I'm not aware of?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.