Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding ram to mid-2009 Macbook Pro - 4gb vs 8gb?

I want to add ram to my mid-2009 Macbook Pro. It currently has 2gb ram. Any thoughts of whether I should upgrade 4gb or 8gb ram? It has a 2.26ghz intel core 2 processor. I only use the computer for internet and the occasional document editing.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 8:55 AM

If your needs are that modest, then 4 GB is fine. However, Mavericks is designed to use as much RAM as is available, and so more RAM is always better.

If I were you, I would put 4GB of RAM in, and then buy an SSD to replace the hard drive. You will be surprised how much faster it will be! It's the best way to extend the useful life of a older Mac.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2014 8:55 AM in response to susch

If your needs are that modest, then 4 GB is fine. However, Mavericks is designed to use as much RAM as is available, and so more RAM is always better.

If I were you, I would put 4GB of RAM in, and then buy an SSD to replace the hard drive. You will be surprised how much faster it will be! It's the best way to extend the useful life of a older Mac.

Adding ram to mid-2009 Macbook Pro - 4gb vs 8gb?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.