6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2014 9:17 AM by LarryHN
Zimmer1956 Level 1 (0 points)

Using Mavericks and iPhoto. I created some albums from Events and wonder if that takes up space and perhaps becomes a duplicate? If I decide to erase the albums, will it effect the events? Seem to think the album is just a link but don't know

Thanks,

Don

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), two OWC external drives.
  • LarryHN Level 9 (76,907 points)

no

no 

no

LN

• Old Toad Level 10 (135,351 points)

No, they don't take up any extra space.  Albums, slideshows, books, etc., contain only pointers to the original file.  A photo has only one original file but can be in multiple places. without taking up any more space. It's just like playlists in iTunes:  only one audio file and multiple occurances.

Opps, forgot to address your deletion question.  But Larry got that.

OT

• Zimmer1956 Level 1 (0 points)

so I am able to delete the albums without affecting my events and pictures?

• Zimmer1956 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks, this helped!

Don

• Old Toad Level 10 (135,351 points)

Deleting Photos from an iPhoto Library

1 - from an Event or the Photos mode: select the photo(s) and use the Delete key to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the iPhoto Trash bin as follows:

Screen Shot 2012-09-11 at 9.15.56 AM.jpg

2 - from an album, smart album, book, slideshow, card, etc.: select the photo(s) and use the key combination of Command+Option+Delete to move the photos to the trash bin.  Then empty the trash bin as above.

NOTE: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with only the Delete key only deletes that photo from that item. Deleting a photo from an Event deletes ALL occurences of that photo in the library.

• LarryHN Level 9 (76,907 points)

Zimmer1956 wrote:

so I am able to delete the albums without affecting my events and pictures?

yes as answered above

LN