4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2014 9:25 AM by Tim Kern
Tim Kern Level 1 (10 points)

Greetings,

I was wondering if there is a app or setting for the iPad that allows (forces) the iPad to look for and use wi-fi networks before it uses wireless access. I’d like to set up my daughter’s iPad so that she is less likely to use up our data quota for our wireless plan.

Any ideas as to how I might limit her data usage?

Thank you,

Tim

iPad 2, iOS 7.1
  • robdrage Level 4 (2,765 points)

You can go to Settings>Cellular and set specific apps to not use cellular data, such as netflix or Amazon instant video, Other than that I believe the default is to use wifi if available before Cellular.

• Tim Kern Level 1 (10 points)

Thank you very much. I will check the default wi-fi. The specific apps setting will certainly help.

Tim

• Ralph9430 Level 6 (17,636 points)

There is no setting for using Wi-Fi over cellular. But the iPad does this by default. If Wi-Fi is available Wi-Fi will be used for a web connection instead of cellular.

Turning off Use Cellular Data for specific apps, or app apps, will reduce the amount of cellular data used should Wi-Fi not be available.

• Tim Kern Level 1 (10 points)

Thank you Ralph.

I think "education" (for my daughter) will certainly help. I just don't want her to go craze when she receives the phone..

Your reply was very helpful.

Tim