Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Configurator Error. Apple Configurator could not open your library.The file couldn’t be opened because it isn’t in the correct format.

I was using configurator without trouble. Unfortunately, my battery died and my computer went down. I plugged my computer in, restarted it and tried to open configurator. Now this is the error I am getting. Apple Configurator could not open your library.The file couldn’t be opened because it isn’t in the correct format. How do I fix this?

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 9:36 AM

4 replies

Aug 2, 2017 5:24 AM in response to NorthShoreMiddle

Hi there,

First of all, I recommend doing a complete backup of your Mac, using Time Machine. Then, at least if anything goes wrong with what I suggest, you have a fallback option.

I'm not sure of exactly the solution to this issue but, I strongly recommend not using Apple Configurator 1.x. It's a hugely problematic app and always has been. The latest version of Configurator is far more stable, easier to use and has many more features. I would recommend upgrading your Mac to macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and then downloading the latest version of Configurator (2.40). When you run it for the first time, it will ask you to migrate your data from Configurator 1. Once that is complete, Config 2 should recognise devices from Config 1. In the worst-case scenario, you may need to wipe all iPads and start again.

However, also bear in mind that with Config 2, you no longer use redemption codes for VPP app licenses. You should use 'managed distribution' licenses from then on. Any existing codes can be converted to managed distribution by sending a request through the VPP store (once logged in, click the blue 'Contact Support' link at the very bottom of the page - one of the drop-down options is to convert).

I hope this helps.

Best,

G.

Aug 2, 2017 6:05 AM in response to Garethmaybury

I have upgraded to 10.12 and have installed Apple Configurator 2. Unfortunately, when I try to do a migration it gives an error. I've attached one our existed supervised iPads and it's not able to successfully install apps in Apple Configurator 2.

At this point I feel like we are out of luck considering we have 100s of deployed supervised iPads with many redeem codes for their apps. Do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks,

K.

Aug 2, 2017 6:56 AM in response to ksmelser

Hello,

I'm afraid I don't, other than contacting Apple support. It may be the case that you have to wipe the devices and start again. In terms of the apps and codes, that's not a problem. You shouldn't lose any app licenses if you convert to managed distribution through VPP but you may need to wipe and reinstall. I would strongly recommend using an MDM solution however, as it makes it considerably easier to manage iPads. Sorry I can't be of further help.

Regards,

G.

Configurator Error. Apple Configurator could not open your library.The file couldn’t be opened because it isn’t in the correct format.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.