Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud contacts disappeared from my iphone 4s -- twice.

So, this is the second time this has happened.

I'm going along with normal life, haven't changed any settings, and suddenly I notice that a couple of my text conversation with people from my favorites list (like my husband and best friend) suddenly have only the phone numbers as their label, instead of their names. Within 24 hours, all of my iCloud contacts have disappeared from my phone.

Last time, I went through an hours-long google research & restore process with some third-party software that worked great, but took forever. I was worried that someone had hacked my iCloud account and was messing with me. I changed passwords, etc.

This time I haven't had time to deal with it that way. All of my iCloud contacts were still on my iMac and MacBook Air, so I ruled out the hacked possibility. After reading some here, I tried turning my phone off and on. As I type, all 591 contacts are reappearing on my phone. I'm relieved to see that it doesn't look like I've been hacked, but I'm annoyed that this has happened at all.

My phone has mysteriously restarted itself twice in the last week, (usually after a couple iOS app shutdowns when I'm trying to use Safari in a totally reasonable way), and I seem to remember reading that there's some kind of bug in iOS that could make this happen after automatic restarts.

Ummmm . . . and now I have 1,260 contacts. Huh?

Curiouser and curiouser.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 10:16 AM

4 replies

Apr 8, 2014 11:33 AM in response to Annalea

Suggest you consider using an app to back up your contacts. This will allow you to easily restore them if this happens again. One I can recommend is My Contacts Backup Pro, although I'm sure there are others that work as well. The app will back up your contacts as a vCard attachment to an email. Send the email to yourself and save either the email or the attachment. If you ever need to restore your contacts you can just tap the attachment to import them back to your phone.

Then, as mentioned in the other post, try saving your photo stream photos to your camera roll, delete the iCloud account, provide your password and choose Delete from My iPhone when prompted (your data will still be in iCloud), then sign back in. Hopefully it won't happen again after that.

iCloud contacts disappeared from my iphone 4s -- twice.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.