Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to run PowerPC applications on OSX Mavericks?

Title says it all, I have OSX Mavericks 10.9.2

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 11:17 AM

5 replies

Apr 9, 2014 3:45 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

...unless you follow Niel's suggestion for emulation. It is slow and iffy.

Contrary to intuitive thought, many PowerPC apps running in Snow Leopard Server in Parallels on today's modern day CPU's (i5, i7, etc.) actually run faster than they did on their native G4, or G5, etc.

Here is my complete answer for the OP's benefit:

Unfortunately you got caught up in the minor miracle of Rosetta. Originally licensed by Apple when it migrated from the PowerPC CPU platform that it had used from the mid-1990's until the Intel CPU platform in 2006, Rosetta allowed Mac users to continue to use their library of PPC software transparently in emulation.

However, Apple's license to continue to use this technology expired with new releases of OS X commencing with Lion (and now Mountain Lion). While educational efforts have been made over the last 6 years, the fact is that Rosetta was SO successful that many users were caught unaware UNTIL they upgraded to Lion or Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

Workarounds:

1. If your Mac will support it, restore OS X Snow Leopard;

2. If your Mac will support it, partition your hard drive or add an external hard drive and install Snow Leopard into it and use the "dual-boot" method to choose between your PowerPC software or Lion/Mt. Lion;

3. Upgrade your software to Intel compatible versions if they are available, or find alternative software that will open your data files, modify them and save them;

4. Install Snow Leopard Server (with Rosetta) into Parallels or VMWare Fusion. Apple is now selling Snow Leopard Server for only $19.99 + sales tax & shipping; call 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753) and ask for Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A (telephone orders only).

This solution will give you concurrent use of your PowerPC applications and access to Lion, Mt. Lion or Mavericks.

User uploaded file

[click on images to enlarge]

NOTE: Computer games with complex, 3D or fast motion graphics make not work well or at all in virtualization

More information here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365439

Installing Snow Leopard Server into Parallels for DUMMIES!:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17285039&postcount=564

How to run PowerPC applications on OSX Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.