Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB A Faults on Macbook Pro Mavericks

Hi.

Having some problems with USB connection to external Hard drives.

I have two external Hard drives.

A Seagate GoFlex Home which I am trying to reformat - Hard drive works as I can connect via the network through my router.

But to reformat I need to connect by USB, have tried two different USB A to USB A cables neither allow the mac to detect it through Disk Utility or finder or recognise it in my USB lists through About my Mac.

(it does however pass through power as it turns the lights on on the machine even when not plugged in through main power cable)

So tested with my Lacie Mini Hub HD.

It also can not be detected through a USB A to USB A cable (I've tried two brand new Hi Speed USB 2.0 cables)

Bizarrely though My USB A to USB B cable can connect to the hard drive without any problems.

So not hard drive issues.

It looks like a problem with the Macbook connecting USB A to USB A (can this be a specific problem?)

I have a 15" Mid 2012 Macbook pro - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

Running Mavericks 10.9.2

I have also tried to test it using another Macbook Pro (13" 2011 I think) also running Mavericks 10.9.2 with the same problems.

I know USB A to USB A is pretty rare these days, is there an issue?

Also (maybe unconnected) there appears to be a problem charging my PS4 controller through a USB A to USB micro cable, connects okay not properly charging.

I have reset PRAM and tried every other method I can think of.

Please help, it's driving me insane!

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 1:51 PM

1 reply

USB A Faults on Macbook Pro Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.