Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't download the additional components needed to install Mac OS X

Hi there, I'm new and a complete novice, please try to have patience I'm hoping to learn but need the right guidance and assistance if possible please :)

Firstly I have read the other articles sharing the same or similar title but most are mentioning using time machine.

I have just fitted a new 1tb SSD to my 13" MacBook Pro after my previous hd was in an unrepairable state. I also purchased a Mac OS X Lion thumb drive with intention of having the latest software on my mac. I obviously don't have any information I want to recover I just merely want to install OS X Lion and begin as if my Macbook was new. But I keep getting the above message. I have gone to disc utilities went through the whole erase process which creates the new partition. Every time I do verify disc is says disc needs repairing so successfully repair it and go back to attempting to install Lion but again it gives me the 'can't download the additional components...' Message. I tried starting up in recovery mode, but from what I have seen on tutorials I should be given the choice of 2 or 3 drives in which to start up on, I only get the option of the OS X Lion thumb drive. Please help me, I really would like to do this myself as a sense of achievement.

My warranty has obviously run out on my mac so this is the reason I changed the HD myself.

Thanks in advanced and feel free to ask questions if you require more details on specifics :)

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 2:23 PM

3 replies

Apr 10, 2014 5:32 AM in response to Aaronsmith89

Is the machine able to hook up to the internet?

Have you tried reformatting the SSD with GUID partition scheme?

Your machine shipped new with some version of 10.6. You may need to contact AppleCare if you lost that disk, to get that installed, and then install the 10.6.6 combo update. Usually though the Flash drive should be able to erase the system and install fresh.

Apr 10, 2014 5:41 AM in response to a brody

Hi a Brody, thank you for taking the time to lend some advice. I am able to connect to the internet via wifi, although my internet is not the fastest, would it be better to connect the MacBook up to the router?

I'm not sure if I have tried reformatting my SSD, would it be possible to have some instructions for that please?

With regards to the original install disc it was lost a long time ago, so was told this thumb drive USB stick with OS X Lion mounted (official apple OS X Lion thumb stick) to it would act as an install disc, would I require the initial install disc as it is a fairly old MacBook?

Thanks for your help

Can't download the additional components needed to install Mac OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.