Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

playing podcats in succession automatically?

Hi, I listen to podcasts on my iPod nano 5 in the car. I had a lot of episodes (I listen to old-time radio mystery shows) on it under one podcast label. It was very inconvenient to unplug the iPod after every show and have to set up the next one. One day, I pulled it out of the car to enjoy on its battery. When I put it back on the car cable, I was extremely happy to discover that now, it would play my shows in succession w/o me having to change it manually. I was able to look on a screen on my dashboard and see all the programs coming up in succession. 🙂

When I took the iPod out to update it and then put it back on the car cable, I discovered it was now only playing only one episode, and it no longer showed the whole inventory of unplayed ones. 😢

How do I get it back to automatically going on to the next one again so I don't have to manually go through doing it myself. Especially in the car, that could be dangerous! Thank you all!

iPod nano, Windows Vista

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 1:51 AM

Is the iPod connected to a USB port on the car audio system? Or is there a special dock connection point or "car cable" that is not a regular USB docking cable?

Car audio systems work differently, so it's hard to guess what happened to make it work like you want.

It is important to note that the iPod is NOT doing the podcast playing. The car audio system is using the iPod as a storage device (like it's a USB flash drive) with song (and podcast) audio files. It reads these files and does the playing. So, what happened to change the way it works is likely to be something on the car audio system, not on the iPod. The car audio system is "in charge," not the iPod.

QUESTION: If you put a playlist of songs on the iPod, does the car audio system recognize that playlist and play it properly (in playlist order)?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2014 1:51 AM in response to myswendy

Is the iPod connected to a USB port on the car audio system? Or is there a special dock connection point or "car cable" that is not a regular USB docking cable?

Car audio systems work differently, so it's hard to guess what happened to make it work like you want.

It is important to note that the iPod is NOT doing the podcast playing. The car audio system is using the iPod as a storage device (like it's a USB flash drive) with song (and podcast) audio files. It reads these files and does the playing. So, what happened to change the way it works is likely to be something on the car audio system, not on the iPod. The car audio system is "in charge," not the iPod.

QUESTION: If you put a playlist of songs on the iPod, does the car audio system recognize that playlist and play it properly (in playlist order)?

Apr 9, 2014 9:25 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thank you so much for responding! In answer to your questions: Yesterday, I fought through learning how to create a playlist (haven't in years!) and did so. Actually, I made a folder in I-Tunes for podcasts and created playlists below that for each subscription. I didn't realize that the iPod wasn't in charge in the car. Yes, it is connected to a special docking USB port in the car so it is integrated into the whole audio system (along with Bluetooth, radio, etc). I am SO pleased to hear from you that playlists might be key to this problem, as that was my only [desperate] thought yesterday. LOL! I will try it out in the car this morning and let you know if we have success. Thank you, again. But beware--you will be hearing from me again here if it was a no-go! 😉

Apr 29, 2014 9:09 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Hi there! I created the playlists, but now, only one song at a time still comes up for listening, not the entire playlist to automatically play one after the other. 😟 So again, it is very hazardous for me to try to change to a new podcast while I'm driving. Not only that, but the car stubbornly "holds onto" the previous podcast that I just finished listening to. Only by doing all sorts of turning on/off, blah, blah (not even sure which combo does the trick) can I even get the car to recognize that I not only have chosen but STARTED to play the new podcast; it will revert to the one already heard (even if I turn the audio off, switch to the radio and then switch back, etc). Nertz. 😟 and HELP please! 🙂 Thank you!

playing podcats in succession automatically?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.