Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers crashes when I try to open .xls

I have a workbook that was handed down to me that I have been using in Excel 2008 for Mac. Very simple. 4 pages, no fancy functions. I have it saved in DropBox as a .xls file. Every time I try to open it in Numbers, it crashes. I'm using Mavericks. What can I do? Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 8:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 2:53 AM

Have you tried dragging savng the xls file to a folder on your Mac that is not in Dropbox, and then opening from that location? Dropbox does not always play nicely with Numbers.

SG

3 replies

Apr 10, 2014 6:44 PM in response to stinkstik

I don't have Excel 2008 for Mac any more but Excel for Mac 2011 gives these options (and more) when choosing File > Save As in the menu:

User uploaded file

What format are you choosing when you save your file outside of Dropbox? In Excel you should be able to File > Save As and choose either .xls or .xlsx. Then In Numbers you should be able to File > Open and choose the .xls or .xlsx file that you saved. (As you say, changing the file extension to .numbers will not help.)

SG

Numbers crashes when I try to open .xls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.