Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sticky cursor

My problem is that my cursor no longer grips. I mean I find it very difficult to grab a window and move it; the cursor just slides off. I also have the same trouble with the scroll bar.

Incidentally, while reviewing this subject in my MOUNTAIN LION manual, I read that most people no longer use the cursor in this way. Okay, I'm wiling to learn, so how do "with it" and "up-to-date" computer owners now move things around? By "things" I mean scroll bars, windows, etc.

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 7:22 PM

7 replies

Apr 9, 2014 9:26 AM in response to Niku

I think I may have found the answer, although I will keep this open for awhile in the hope that someone has a better anwer.

IT'S THE MOUSE! Yes, this morning I was able to use the cursor as intended. The difference today is that I pressed much harder on the mouse than I have ever done. My guess is that for some reason, normal pressure on the mouse no longer makes a firm electrical connection. Wirth greater pressure, It now works, and it's not a problem to press harder than usual, so unless and until the mouse completely gives out, I see no need to replace or repair it.

Apr 9, 2014 1:22 PM in response to My Grin

You might try installing Smart Scroll. I didn't mention it before because it didn't work all the time, so I was still using the scroll bar when Smart Scroll didn't work. However, I just discovered that I had needed to update the version that I had. Now that I have the latest version, it might be everything I need. There is also a possibility that Apple has introduced improvements in Mavericks that do the same thing as Smart Scoll. I don't know that to be true; it's just a possibility, because there are many Apple features that I have not yet discovered.

I strongly suggest that you try Smart Scroll. Basically, you just place your cursor on the screen. When you move the cursor up or down, the screen moves the same way.

Apr 14, 2014 4:16 PM in response to My Grin

I don't know about Mavericks, but I just fixed the problem by buying a new Kensington mouse from Amazon for $8.99. The fact that I had managed by pressing extra hard on the mouse was a tipoff that my mouse wasn't making the proper proper electrical connection. Everything's fine now.

Sticky cursor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.