7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2014 4:16 PM by Niku
Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

My problem is that my cursor no longer grips. I mean I find it very difficult to grab a window and move it; the cursor just slides off.  I also have the same trouble with the scroll bar. 

Incidentally, while reviewing this subject in my MOUNTAIN LION manual, I read that most people no longer use the  cursor in this way. Okay, I'm wiling to learn, so how do "with it" and "up-to-date" computer owners now move things around? By "things" I mean scroll bars, windows, etc.

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)
  • Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

I think I may have found the answer, although I will keep this open for  awhile in the hope that someone has  a better anwer.

IT'S THE MOUSE! Yes, this morning I was able to use the cursor as intended. The difference today is that I pressed much harder on the mouse than I have ever done. My guess is that for some reason, normal pressure on the mouse no longer makes a firm electrical connection. Wirth greater pressure, It now works, and it's not a problem to press harder than usual, so unless and until the mouse completely gives out, I see no need to replace or repair it.

• My Grin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

YOU have to hold down the button on your mouse.  The scroll bars are gone unless you do this. I think this is a terrible function. I can't imagine why Apple did this.

Well, after reading your message, I tried that. It had no effect; however, as I've already said, just pressing harder on the body of the mouse does the trick.

Yes, not the button, the mouse itself. You are correct. Sometimes you still cannot find the scroll bar.

You might try installing Smart Scroll. I didn't mention it before because it didn't work all the time, so I was still using  the scroll bar when Smart Scroll didn't work. However, I just discovered that I had needed to update the version that I had. Now that I have the latest version, it might be everything I need. There is also a possibility that Apple has introduced improvements in Mavericks that do the same thing as Smart Scoll. I don't know that to be true; it's just a possibility, because there are many Apple features that I have not yet discovered.

I strongly suggest that you try Smart Scroll. Basically, you just place your cursor on the screen. When you move the cursor up or down, the screen moves the same way.

Thanks. Yes, Mavericks does this automatically!

I don't know about Mavericks, but I just fixed the problem by buying a new Kensington mouse from Amazon for $8.99. The fact that I had managed by pressing extra hard on the mouse was a tipoff that my mouse wasn't making the proper proper electrical connection. Everything's fine now.