Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad 2 Mail program shows an erroneous count of messages in the inbox.

My iPad 2 Mail program shows a count of over 1600 messages in the inbox even though EVERY message has been deleted from every mailbox. Tried deactivating and reactivating Mail, quit/restart, all settings to do with removing messages from the server, and still have the erroneous count. Anyone have any clues on what I can try

iPad 2, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 6:51 PM

4 replies

Apr 8, 2014 7:04 PM in response to iKnight

did you try a reset?

first quit Mail by double clicking the Home button to get to the multitasking screen, then swiping the Mail preview screen upward off the top of the iPad

then do a reset: hold both the Home button and the Power button down for 10+ seconds until the Apple logo appears. Let go promptly when the Apple logo appears and wait another 30+ seconds for the iPad to turn itself on. No data will be lost.

Also in Settings > Mail > your account > Advanced > Move discarded messages into ... is Deleted Mailbox ticked?

Apr 8, 2014 7:17 PM in response to FALcatkin

Thanks, FALcatkin. Did the reset per your instruction three times (yes, the Mail setting for Move discarded messages is as you stated) - still have the erroneous count on the Dock Mail icon and on the inbox when Mail is re-activated.

Wish it had worked but no dice. Would be easy if one could get at the preferences files like you can on the iMac, to discard the counting file, and re-index all the messages.

If you or anyone else has another idea, will gladly try it.

My iPad 2 Mail program shows an erroneous count of messages in the inbox.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.