Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages and Numbers Documents Can't Be Opened

Okay, I'm seeing all kinds of threads and ZERO solutions to this. It's getting really, really frustrating.

1. I'm using the latest version of Pages (and Numbers...I'm having the same problem with both) for Mac. (5.2)

2. I'm using the latest version of OS X. (10.9.2)

3. These are documents I've created as recently as yesterday.

4. I honestly can't think of ANY behavior I'm doing beyond saving them to iCloud. They'll open just fine for a while, and then suddenly, without warning...I get "The file “filename” couldn’t be opened."

This is SO FREAKING FRUSTRATING.

Apple, please, please, please fix this. Please? I'm BEGGING you.

Every other thread asks whether the users are using old versions of iWork apps. I am not. I'm not using any older software. All current. This is starting to drive me batty.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 7:28 PM

2 replies

Apr 9, 2014 8:09 AM in response to notbadbutgood

Okay, I found a workaround on another thread, and I can verify that it worked in my situation.

Basically, follow these steps:

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Click the "iCloud" preference pane.
  3. On the right, scroll to "Documents & Data".
  4. Uncheck the box.
  5. Make sure it's set to delete the data from your Mac.
  6. Wait, I don't know, 5 minutes? Long enough for that process to complete. Maybe be unecessary to wait, but I did.
  7. Reboot, if you want to be extra clean and tidy. Apple would probably recommend against this, but I'm old school like that.
  8. Open System Preferences again, and recheck the box.
  9. Launch your iWork app, and your iCloud documents should open just fine now.

This is an especially irritating bug. I've reported it to Apple already. If you're experiencing it, I'd recommend you do the same. The more of us complain, the sooner it's fixed.

Pages and Numbers Documents Can't Be Opened

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.