Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why don't the F10 and F11 keys control volume anymore?

When I push the key the page gets larger and smaller. Macbook Air OS X 10.8.5, Safari 6.1.2

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 8:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2017 11:49 PM

User uploaded file

just make sure that box is unchecked. If there's a check mark on it that means the keys will work as "standard functions", it says right there that if the box is checked you need to press the "fn key" to use the features printed on the keys (volume control, brightness, etc) but if the box is unchecked you won't have to worry about pressing the "fn key" and f1-f12 should work just fine on their own.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2017 11:49 PM in response to cam812

User uploaded file

just make sure that box is unchecked. If there's a check mark on it that means the keys will work as "standard functions", it says right there that if the box is checked you need to press the "fn key" to use the features printed on the keys (volume control, brightness, etc) but if the box is unchecked you won't have to worry about pressing the "fn key" and f1-f12 should work just fine on their own.

Jun 10, 2017 11:53 AM in response to sberman

Still not working. fn is supposed to allow volume change but it does nothing with Snow Leopard and the small "Magic" keyboard. It does work with the extended keyboard, which makes no sense. The small keyboard is new and the other one is old. Maybe that's it. I have an old Steve Jobs keyboard that works and a Tim Cook one that doesn't. Apple has fallen pretty low when users have to do research just to get their keyboards to work.

Apr 11, 2014 10:48 PM in response to cam812

cam812 wrote:

When I pushed the fn key I lost all sound. Maybe Linc will see this and help?

When you press the fn key together with F10 key it mutes the sound, repeat to unmute. Press fn/F11 to reduce sound and fn/F12 to increase sound. (These keys will vary according to OS X version). Also, if you like, you can go to System Preferences/Keyboard and uncheck the box for "use all F1, F2 keys etc as standard function keys." Then you do not have to use the fn key with F9, F10, F11 to control the sound.

Message was edited by: Cunnla

Aug 13, 2015 5:33 PM in response to cam812

My volume keys will stop working and there's nothing that helps. I've tried all the (MANY) suggestions here and if one does work, the "fix" doesn't last. Can someone please explain why this happens, why it continues to happen, and what Apple is doing to stop it from happening. This never happened until I upgraded to Yosemite. I'm losing patience, truly I am, and I'm normally a very patient person.

Why don't the F10 and F11 keys control volume anymore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.