4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2014 4:17 AM by iToaster
auntyjack Level 1 Level 1

I have SUS running on my 10.6.8 server which is happily providing updates to about 40 10.5.8 clients (mixed Intel and PPC). Can the server itself get updates from it's own SUS ?

When I run:

"defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL"

on the server terminal to see what it's currently set to I get this:

"The domain/default pair of (com.apple.SoftwareUpdate, CatalogURL) does not exist"

Is the server already doing this as part of the SUS setup ?

Cheers,

Aunty

Mac mini, OS X Server
  • MrHoffman Level 6 Level 6
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

After setting the CatalogURL on the server — just like how the CatalogURL has been set on the clients — the server can self-update from the local stash of updates, yes.  The server can be set to update from Apple — the default, and the way your system has beem configured — or potentially from a different software update server, too.

• iToaster Level 3 Level 3

You can but the default is to update from apple

It's a bit of a waste of time having the server sus updating from itself unless you have multiple servers requiring updates

• MrHoffman Level 6 Level 6
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

iToaster wrote:

You can but the default is to update from apple

It's a bit of a waste of time having the server sus updating from itself unless you have multiple servers requiring updates

Self-updating is one less download from Apple, FWIW...  If you're on a larger network link, that's less of an issue.

• iToaster Level 3 Level 3

Letting the server download updates from Apple rather than the SUS can also be less downloads from apple

It depends on how you mange the SUS - don't have SUS download server updates, and any other updates that aren't required.

I can't see the point of having a single server self updating from its own SUS

More hassle than what it's worth IMO, I prefer to have the server check for updates from Apple download and install

Then manually have to find out about updates then have the SUS mirror the correct release then run software update on the server and update

But each to his own