Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook 5,2 replace HD with SSD

I just picked up a Macbook 5,2 (mid 2009 I believe) that has the original configuration. I'm upgrading the memory from 2 Gb to 4 Gb and ordered a SSD to replace the original 160 Gb hard drive. When I started to setup this laptop I was surprised how much of my information was synced via iCloud and Keychain. I actually started to setup my email account and then had to delete it as a duplicate account showed up via Keychain.

I have the original OS X disks for this laptop so my question is... should I clone my current setup via disk utility (please note the original install of the OS was by the previous owners) or should I do a completely clean install from the original disks and then upgrading to Mavericks via the App Store? My guess is doing the clean install is the way to go. Thoughts?

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 9:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 10:32 PM

All your OS X system and update upgrade etc software is linked to the owner Apple ID. The previous owner's upgrade past a physical OS X retail or machine-specific original DVD [tied to his/her Apple ID] is out of the picture.

The OEM discs would have been OS X 10.5.x or 10.6.x according to MacTracker

Original OSMac OS X 10.5.7 (9J61)
Later OSMac OS X 10.6 (10A432)

If the computer is this model MacBook5.2

IntroducedMay 2009
DiscontinuedOctober 2009
Model IdentifierMacBook5,2
Model NumberA1181
EMC2330
Order NumberMC240LL/A

A clone would only give you a copy of someone elses legal responsibility,

but that is not your license to use it. So, that is the path one would usually

expect to follow, according to the rules.

A working system in the computer, if you built it up from scratch, then cloned to the SSD while its in an external drive housing, would be the best way to prepare the swap. You could also have a working clone on the original HDD; and an option to put that into the external case. However the original HDD may be worn and on its way out; so that may not be a great idea for a backup or storage archive.

The key to the Mac App Store is usually a retail OS X 10.6 DVD, with update to 10.6.8 Combo v1.1, then it can see the App Store, Mac App, and iTunes stores. You'd need your Apple ID past the OS X 10.6.8 to upgrade the computer's system and applications.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

edited 2x

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2014 10:32 PM in response to avale

All your OS X system and update upgrade etc software is linked to the owner Apple ID. The previous owner's upgrade past a physical OS X retail or machine-specific original DVD [tied to his/her Apple ID] is out of the picture.

The OEM discs would have been OS X 10.5.x or 10.6.x according to MacTracker

Original OSMac OS X 10.5.7 (9J61)
Later OSMac OS X 10.6 (10A432)

If the computer is this model MacBook5.2

IntroducedMay 2009
DiscontinuedOctober 2009
Model IdentifierMacBook5,2
Model NumberA1181
EMC2330
Order NumberMC240LL/A

A clone would only give you a copy of someone elses legal responsibility,

but that is not your license to use it. So, that is the path one would usually

expect to follow, according to the rules.

A working system in the computer, if you built it up from scratch, then cloned to the SSD while its in an external drive housing, would be the best way to prepare the swap. You could also have a working clone on the original HDD; and an option to put that into the external case. However the original HDD may be worn and on its way out; so that may not be a great idea for a backup or storage archive.

The key to the Mac App Store is usually a retail OS X 10.6 DVD, with update to 10.6.8 Combo v1.1, then it can see the App Store, Mac App, and iTunes stores. You'd need your Apple ID past the OS X 10.6.8 to upgrade the computer's system and applications.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

edited 2x

Macbook 5,2 replace HD with SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.