Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to setup 2 editors working remotely?

Hi,

Need some clear advice please! I want to collaborate with another editor on the same FCP X Event and project and want to know the best way to achieve this.

Currently we both have an external drive with the exact same media on them. Lets call me Editor 1 and my mate Editor 2. Here is what we re thinking:

1. Editor 1 has a copy of Final Cut X and Editor 2 buys the same version.

2. Both Editors setup a new Event with the same name using the same import settings on the same versions of the media on their respective machines.

3. Editor 1 completes the metadata tagging etc of keywords within the Event and Editor 1 creates a new project and starts working on it.

4. Editor 1 then shares the Project folder with Editor 2 by Dropbox. Editor 1 also sends the 'Currentversion.fcpevent' file to Editor 2 which contains all the new metadata tagging, keywords etc data for the event.

5. Editor 2 replaces their 'Currentversion.fcpevent' file with the one sent by Editor 1 and then opens the Project folder within their FCP X. May have to Relink files when they open the Project. Starts working on it and repeats process back to Editor 1.

Will this work?

We need to avoid working at the same time I would think.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks a lot

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 12:12 AM

8 replies

Apr 9, 2014 11:43 AM in response to peakflowimages

The CurrentVersion files contain exact information about your system user and each has separate ID tags. Your may have identical projects and events, but their CurrentVersion files are not the same.

You can try your method, but you may get strange results and permission errors. The way to do this is to use XML. That's what it's for. The files are quite small and can easily be passed back and forth.

How to setup 2 editors working remotely?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.