Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting to Time Capsule via ethernet but my computer does not have an IP address

I'm connected to internet w/Airport TC.

I want to connect via ethernet for fast and stable backup. When I connect the ethernet cable what I see is "The cable for Ethernet is connected, but your computer does not have an IP address". I don't want to mess up with my connection. What should I do?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Airport Time Capsule

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 3:24 AM

4 replies

Apr 10, 2014 10:43 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for your response Bob, I found a way to resolve my issue.

I'm connecting to internet via wireless modem. TC is connected to that wireless modem via wired ethernet connection and functions as a router - I guess - so our Apple devices connect to the network.

I had disabled WiFi earlier, since I wanted to connect to TC via ethernet. I realized I somehow needed to have the connection re-enabled WiFi but change the connection order, so ethernet is at the top of the list.

It might have been some other things I did, like trying to imitate config samples I found on the net by typing 255.255.255.0 and 192.something.something.0...etc.

Not sure exactly what made it work, but eventually, I believe I managed to connect and transfer many gigs of data over to TC with ethernet but it still took soooooo long.

Thanks,

Vanmoose

Jul 11, 2014 12:20 PM in response to vanmoose

Glad that you got your issue resolved.

By default, "Ethernet" is at the top of the Connection Order list if you have a Mac that incorporates an Ethernet port, so not sure why those settings had "Wireless" at the top of the list, unless you made a previous change, or the normal default settings for the Mac were not setup normally.

I managed to connect and transfer many gigs of data over to TC with ethernet but it still took soooooo long.

You did not indicate how much data you transferred, or how long the process took to complete, but on average data will move at 30-35 GB per hour over an Ethernet connection. So, if you had about 300-350 GB of data to copy over, the process should have completed in 10-11 hours or so.

Connecting to Time Capsule via ethernet but my computer does not have an IP address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.