Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using an Apple Keyboard in Windows

So it's a pretty commonly known issue that the function keys on the Apple Wireless keyboard don't do a thing in Windows. Is there some way. I'm using Windows 8.1 on an Windows PC, not a Mac, so I don't have access to the Boot Camp drivers. Is there some workaround? I'd really really like them to behave completely normally and use the Windows GUI for volume selection and music controls.

It seems pretty sub par that I've payed for a keyboard that really should work fine on Windows but that is missing basic functionality. I don't know if the problem is being caused on Microsoft's or Apple's end, though I suspect either could fix it easily and make the keyboard work with full functionality on connection without any hassle.

I found an install link to the Apple Wireless Keyboard drivers that I believe come with bootcamp and did that but the drivers are now just sitting in Device Manager not doing anything. To be more specific, in Device Manager, under Bluetooth there is 'Apple Wireless Keyboard' but under Keyboards is 'HID Keyboard Device' which is the default driver Windows appears to be using.

So yeah, I'd love some help.

Thanks

Apple Wireless Keyboard-OTHER, Other OS, (Windows 8)

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 4:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2017 2:37 AM

Though I'm late posting in this thread, google leads to here when searching for the issue and posted links are already dead, so here is a complete solution:

Get brigadier.exe from https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier/releases

(You need to have 7-zip to be installed)

Call it from the command prompt e.g. "brigadier.exe -m MacBookPro13,1" (or something newer)

It'll download a recent version of BootCamp (e.g. 6) and unpack it. Delete everything except the Files AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe and BootCamp.msi in the folder Drivers/Apple.

From a privileged command prompt, execute BootCamp.msi.

After a reboot, you have the bootcamp icon in the systray. Here you can switch the fn function.

For remapping some keys, I'm using sharpkeys: https://github.com/randyrants/sharpkeys/releases

Works with Windows 10. (I've the issue that the BootCamp manager is quite slow in showing up and even hangs from time to time, but it still works)

HTH

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2017 2:37 AM in response to crumbleshake

Though I'm late posting in this thread, google leads to here when searching for the issue and posted links are already dead, so here is a complete solution:

Get brigadier.exe from https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier/releases

(You need to have 7-zip to be installed)

Call it from the command prompt e.g. "brigadier.exe -m MacBookPro13,1" (or something newer)

It'll download a recent version of BootCamp (e.g. 6) and unpack it. Delete everything except the Files AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe and BootCamp.msi in the folder Drivers/Apple.

From a privileged command prompt, execute BootCamp.msi.

After a reboot, you have the bootcamp icon in the systray. Here you can switch the fn function.

For remapping some keys, I'm using sharpkeys: https://github.com/randyrants/sharpkeys/releases

Works with Windows 10. (I've the issue that the BootCamp manager is quite slow in showing up and even hangs from time to time, but it still works)

HTH

Sep 18, 2017 11:35 PM in response to eomero

Maybe you guys can help me, I don't have an issue with some functions not working, I just bought a magic keyboard for its essential keys, and portability. That being said I can't get it to respond to my windows 10, dell PC. It gets discovered by the usb bluetooth that I added, but once it asks me to type the pin, The keyboard does not respond at all... I can press any key and it won't respond.

I tried installing bootcamp drivers, which I THINK installed properly, but the keyboard just dosen't want to work with the PC. I also have another PC which I tried to process on and it didn't work. It works fine for my ipad and macbook though. Can anyone help solve this.

Nov 2, 2014 8:03 AM in response to crumbleshake

Come on Apple, man up and write some decent Windows Only (no Boot Camp) drivers for your USB and Wireless Keyboards. Since Apple chooses the hardware for all Macs, it's simply not possible for me to use a Mac for everything I need to do. It's just silly that the keyboard I use with Windows is missing functionality due to Apple's "Mac Only" myopia. Would you rather I use a Microsoft Keyboard? I'm about to make the switch.

Nov 2, 2014 7:01 PM in response to Templeton Peck

Yes..I know. There are still people buying Apple devices for use with Windows and I want Google searches to find this page. Apple doesn't support these devices outside of Boot Camp. And after using Boot Camp for years, I can tell you they don't work too well in Boot Camp either. Apple's crappy drivers were designed to paint Windows in the palest light possible. It was a cheap charlatan's trick.

Apple sure has changed recently. I remember a time when Mac Pro's had tons of expansion capabilities and Mac Book Pros had great graphics. iPhones were small and elegant, not the of Android shape of today - an overused bar of soap. I remember a time when iPad was the future of computing...not a the quickly stagnant coffee table computer with shrinking sales - the Netbook of this decade. My Apple keyboard is the last Apple product I'm still using...my fingers still like it despite the failings. But it too is starting to wear on me. Why can't Apple get even this right? A simple keyboard? It's depressing.

Using an Apple Keyboard in Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.