Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi connects, but not internet

My computer connects to wifi, but there is still not actual internet connection. It isn't a problem of my router as I have tried it in multiple locations with many different wifi networks.

I have tried restarting my computer, deleting and then recreating the airport, adding different DNS servers such as 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.4 and 8.8.8.8, as these are the suggestions I've found online already, but none of them seem to help.

Does anyone else have an idea of what could be wrong? It seems like a setting is wrong or otherwise the airport is just broken :/

Thanks!

-JJ

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 7:56 AM

5 replies

Apr 9, 2014 9:08 AM in response to Andy-J-D

The IP address was set to manual with 0.0.0.0 as the IPv4, so it may be the IP. However, I changed it to DNS and renewed it but it still didn't work. Does it need to be connected to the internet somehow during this part?

Also, I tried putting in the IP address that was generated from renewing in manually instead of as dhcp... Should it be the same IP?

Apr 9, 2014 9:26 AM in response to JJensen1212

First thing I'd try is set it to 'Using DHCP' and renew the lease. Then if it doesn't do anything, restart, delete the network from the list, re-connect, and try that again.

If that doesn't work, find the IP address of a device that's connected and working (something like 192.168.0.5). Pick a higher number to go after the last . (like 192.168.0.58), change the IP config to Using DHCP with Manual Address, and enter it. Note that your network may be 192.168.1.X or 2.X or whatever.

Wifi connects, but not internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.