Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reformat secondary drive with Home folder on

Hi guys, I have an issue and Im getting myself confused as to how to go about this.

Basicly, I have a 250 GB SSD bootdrive and a 750GB HD data drive.

On the SSD is Mavericks and a couple of apps, on the data drive is eveything else, home folder, apps etc.

I have just bought Adobe's creative cloud subscription and it wont allow me to install anything because the data drive is case sensitive. So I need to reformat the data drive to non case sensitive, it wont allow me to install it onto the SSD which is already non case sensitive, as it only allows instalation where the libary and home folder is, stupidly.

So far Ive backed eveything up both though a network time machine and also Ive backed up all my documents from the home folder, the libary and system folders and a few apps onto an external USB drive. However I cant backup my movie folder with all my final cut pro stuff on, because its too big for the external drive, it is however backed up through time machine.

Now I need to format the data drive, but Im not sure how to go about this without messing up the home folder and user aspects, as surely as soon as I format it, Ive bascily lost myself as a user.

I thought about moving the home folder back to the SSD temporailly, and then reformating, But in order to do this, I'd have to delete the entire movie folder off the data drive first to get it to fit on there, which is only backed up via time machine. I know all the stuff on the data drive is going anyway, Im just a bit paranoid about deleting it all before doing anything else. Is this the only way around it, or is there another way?

Can I move the bulk of the home folder back onto the ssd, but not the movie folder, to enable me to keep my user account and reformat the drive before putting the home folder back onto the data drive, or shoul Ijust delete the movie folder and hope I can get it back through time machine..

Ive read using time machine to reinstate the whole drive will revert it back to case sensitive, is this true? Or can I just copy folders off time machine back onto the newly formatted non case sensitive drive? So my movie folder can just be copied back to the newly formatted data drive without issue?

Thanks for any help, I dont want to mess up all my permissions and user accounts and my head just inst working right at the moment to figure out the best way.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 8:39 AM

2 replies

How to reformat secondary drive with Home folder on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.