Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMAP processes never stopped on my ISP

Hello everyone,

My emails are in IMAP, the accounts are hosted on planethoster.net or hostgator.com on linux, different versions and brands (redhat...).

Apple Mail (=AM) has problems to close IMAP processes, the IMAP processes stay for 10+ minutes active on the server!

We must use IMAP, not pop.

I do not want to use another mail client because Apple Mail is very reliable.

Here are more details for ONE email account, on planethoster.net, using dovecot and centos 6.5 with all updates.

Account Settings in AM:

- Path: IMAP

- Port 993 + SSL

- Authentification by password

- Use IDLE.

and

- Port 465 + SLL + Auth by password.

When you open AM (or re/connect the account) it takes 4 processes!

31697 (imap) /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap /home/userdoe/mail/johnsite.com/support dovecot/imap

These 4 processes will stay ~until you quit AM.

If you quit AM, these 4 processes are still running for at least 15 minutes.

If you kill the new/current ones from the server dashboard, they reappear immediately, normal...

Reopen AM immediately and you will see 4 old + 4 new processes for the same email account!

To close them with AM, you must first use the menu ~"Mailboxes-disconnect" (or similar) before quitting.

In that case, the 4 processes disappear a bit faster from the server.

The problem is that ISP allow a limited number of processes (25 on Hostgator) that has to be shared between

all operations : web, ftp, emails, cpanel...

With my 2 ISP/host supports help, searches on the net, different settings on mac or server, various config tests, reseting, restart, update, delete

whatever... nothing changes. It is like that for at least Mac OS X 10.7.

I already sent several detailed bug reports to Apple several years, 16+ months... ago without any change.

Do the same tests with

- Thunderbird : 1 process, closed immediately on quit.

- M$ Outlook Window$ : 2 processes, closed almost immediately on quit.

If you have a solution or if you can 'shake' the apple team in charge :-) I will send you a huge box of chocolate from Belgium.

Thanks,

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 2.3Ghz i7 16GB Sony Tablet Xperia S

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 8:05 AM

There are no replies.

IMAP processes never stopped on my ISP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.