Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony NEW RX10 & iPhoto Cant open RAW files

Hey Guys, I know that not ALL RAW files are equal! I just picked up a NEW SONY RX10 and its shooting RAW files in Sony's ARW format.. I see that the NEW a7's are updated in OSX updates, Im assuming that the a7's and the New RX10 are the same ARW format, but I cant open these files in Preview and Iphoto wont see them either! Im using OSX 10.8.5 (ML) and Iphoto 11 (9.4.3) (720.91) Is anyone else having this issue with a RX10 or newer Sony camera with ARW files... Please reply! I really would like to shoot in RAW and use iPhoto to edit! I guess not ALL SONY .ARW are equal????

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 512 SSD, GTX680, 24GB Ram

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 9:07 AM

12 replies

Apr 9, 2014 9:20 AM in response to Harleymhs

Im assuming that the a7's and the New RX10 are the same ARW format,

There you go - that is an incorrect assumption (as most assumptions are - as you know when you assume you make an ***ume out of ***ume & assume) - every RAW format for every camera is different and requires specific support for tha tcamera - notice in the support list that many different cameras in the same family are listed seperatly

Usually Apple releases Sony RAW support pretty quickly since Sony is a major manfactuer of consumer and professional cameras

Tell Apple - iPhoto menu ==> provide iPhoto feedback

The Sony software that came with the camera may help (although my experiance is that Sony has poor to non-existance support for Macs) and possible the Adobe RAW converter can help until Apple releases the required update

And it is very possible that the update will only apply to Mavericks and iPhoto 9.5.x so it is possible that you will have to upgrade your OS and iPhoto (both free) - when you do be sure to backup first

The current Mavericks list is at http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5955

LN

Apr 9, 2014 10:27 AM in response to Harleymhs

So if I update to MAverick will my Sony RX10 ARW format work?

Sorry for being not clear.

The new raw support is only available with mavericks.

What I meant is, that any new raw support is usually integrated into the latest OS, and will require the newest versions of Aperture or iPhoto being installed.

The current list of Raw Support for Mt. Lion is here:

OS X Mountain Lion: Supported digital camera RAW formats http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5371

Notice the foonote:

*Aperture version 3.4.5 or later, or iPhoto version 9.4.3 or later, is required to install this update.

By the time, the raw support for your new camera will be released, the current MacOS and latest versions of iPhoto are 9.5.1 and MacOS X 10.9.1 - so the chances are slim, that you will be able to install the new raw support, if you do not update.

Apr 10, 2014 5:30 AM in response to LarryHN

Larry... If someone keeps asking questions its because they didnt understand your response! THATS SIMPLE! as far as "

Not supported is a really simple concept for most people" That is a ver simple answer! My BAD, I didnt realize EVERY SONY camera that shoots ARW format was different per every SONY CAMERA MODEL! You need to CHILL if you are going to TRY to help people on this community!

Sony NEW RX10 & iPhoto Cant open RAW files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.