Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are Mavericks sleep settings on MacBook Pro?

I'm using a new 13 inch MacBook Pro (Retina) running Mavericks 10.9.2. Looking at the Energy Saver panel, I don't see any way of altering the time before the computer sleeps: I can change what happens to the display and hard disks (actually this machine hasn't got any hard disks), but a sleep time setting is absent. An app I'm using, Splashtop Server, tells me that the machine is set to sleep after one minute, but I am not seeing this setting. Does anyone know where it is?

TIA

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 13 inch, late 2013, 2.4GHz, 8Gb

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 9:51 AM

11 replies

Apr 9, 2014 10:07 AM in response to Look-at-menow

No, on my machine, I see the display sleep choice, but not the computer sleep. On my iMac, which is running the same version of Mavericks (10.9.2) I do see the computer sleep line at the top of the Energy Saver window. That's the issue - how can I access this choice on my MacBook? That line really isn't there, either on the battery or power adaptor tabs - I just checked again!

Jun 11, 2014 5:52 AM in response to Morgs

My last MacBook Pro was a non-retina 13" and it did have both a computer and display sleep timer. I guess with the retinas you don't have a computer sleep setting. Only a display sleep setting. I'm guessing it's because it uses flash memory and that doesn't use power like a traditional HDD or SSD. I believe it's also this way for the MacBook Air.

Jul 2, 2015 3:53 PM in response to Look-at-menow

(MacBook Pro Retina '13 late 2013, Yosemite)

It should look like:

About Energy Saver sleep and idle modes in Mac OS X - Apple Support

but there is no "computer sleep" slider.

Why I can't turn off display and put downloads or any longer computing in background for some hours before sleep. Why I can't control this like in all Mac's Windows machines for last twenty years I did.

😢 😢 😢

User uploaded file

Jul 3, 2015 3:53 AM in response to rafal_jot

So, Rafal, this just seems to say that the problem still exists. I'm on Yosemite now, and I am not near my MacBook (I live in two countries and I keep the MacBook in the other one), but I suppose from your reply that the situation remains the same. So it was a policy decision by Apple: pity they didn't explain it anywhere - the article you quote refers to Mac OS X Lion and clearly hasn't been updated. Just to be clear, my iMac (non-portable, in other words) still allows both forms of sleep in Yosemite.

Jul 3, 2015 4:05 AM in response to Living Fossil

I just noticed in this article:

OS X Yosemite: Set sleep and wake times for your Mac

The not very helpful remark:

"Note: Some of the options may not be available, depending on your Mac."

This really doesn't tell us anything, does it? I would like Apple to tell me if the issue actually exists and if so, if it was a change of policy, and if so, why they did it. Not very likely to happen, I fear.

Where are Mavericks sleep settings on MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.