Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create a Numbers for loop?

I want to combine three large tables by date.

User uploaded file

I want all three of these to be made one table, sorted by date?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 11:15 AM

4 replies

Apr 9, 2014 2:48 PM in response to asbreck

Numbers 3 makes it more difficult to do what you want to do. The new way of sorting has its advantages but this isn't one of them.

If you want the summary table to update with changes to the other tables and you need it to be sortable, you need references like =t1::A$2 to bring the data from each of the other tables. The problem with this kind of absolute cell reference is you cannot simply enter the first one and then drag-fill tor copy/paste to complete the column of formulas.You have to enter the cell references as text, fill down, then convert them to "automatic". In Numbers '09 you could have used the relative address =t1::A2 then filled down (no need to enter it as text first).

Assuming your three other tables are of fixed lengths, here is an example based on two tables;

User uploaded file

To create the Summary table,

1. Set the format of column A to Text before doing anything else.
  2. Type =t1::A$2 into cell A2. It should be text, not turn into a cell reference.
  3. Fill down until you have all the references for table t1.
  4. The next cell down will then get the text =t2:A$2
  5. Fill down to complete the references for table t2.
  6. Repeat for your other tables.
  7. Now select column A and set it to Automatic. The text will be turned into cell references and you should have all data from column A of your other tables. This is a one-way process, you cannot go back to Text again except by Undo.
  8. Select all the cells in Column A. Paste into Columns B, C, D, etc.

Now you can sort the Summary table (which I did not do in my screenshot). If you make changes to the other tables, you might have to sort the Summary again. The Summary table does not automatically re-sort itself.

Create a Numbers for loop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.