Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4:3 and 16:9 issues

Oh, where to begin.
Shot 15 hours at 4:3, edited the first 12 and then the troubles began. When capturing tape 13 (ironic isn't it) It was 4:3 on my NTSC monitor, but when fully captured it is letterboxed in FCP. I've looked into the system settings, I've looked into the sequence settings, I've tried different tapes, I've tried different cameras. I even trashed the preferences files. All to no avail. If I capture into iMovie it's 4:3, if I move the files from iMovie into FCP they are still 4:3, but if I capture directly into FCP it's letterboxed again. If i right click on the clip and look at format the anamorphic check is always there - I uncheck it and render but nothing changes. I'm at my wits end. Any suggestions?

iMac G5 20, Mac OS X (10.3.7)

Posted on Aug 20, 2006 9:19 AM

2 replies

Aug 20, 2006 9:39 AM in response to David Brimhall1

It seems to me that need to determine if the camera's setting was changed to letterbox and so it was recorded that way as opposed to normal 4:3. For example, my camera will actually record a letterboxed image in 4:3. It seems like that may have happened.

I would try closing all FCP projects and then choose the correct Easy Setup with no project open. Then I'd do a short test capture in a brand new project to see what I get.

I don't have this mastered myself, but each software program deals with aspect ratio tags a different way. In other words, iMovie may be reading a tag telling it to make the video 4:3 while FCP is showing you exactly what is on the tape.

Dual G5/2.5GHz/4.5 GB, internal ATA, G-SATA 500 Mac OS X (10.4.7) Final Cut Studio 5.0.4

4:3 and 16:9 issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.