Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the latest Mac OS X I can download from apple for the eMac?

I want to update the OS X on my eMac, but can not afford OS X 10.5.8. I currently have OS X 10.4.11. I am looking for the latest OS X I can download for free from apple or any other website that will carry a newer OS X for my eMac. I did find a disk one for OS X 10.4.2 in the trash the other day, but not sure if it's a newer OS X or even if I need a disk 2. Here are my specs:

Machine Model: PowerMac6,4

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)

CPU Speed: 1.42 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 167 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.9.2f1

Please Help,

Eddie

Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 7:34 PM

3 replies

Apr 11, 2014 7:00 AM in response to Niel

And once you get the 10.5 DVD, install the free 10.5.8 update. Note, once you have installed 10.5, you will lose access to Classic. If your Mac can boot Mac OS 9, you can still do that, or you can partition your hard drive after backing it up to a Firewire hard drive to have both 10.4.11/Classic and have 10.5.8 on separate partitions.

Carbon Copy Cloner and Superduper have older PowerPC versions you can use to make clones.

Jun 16, 2014 2:26 PM in response to Edz2

The highest all eMacs can go to is Leopard 10.5.8. Like the others said, an install CD set is the only way to do this, I don't know if apple has them anymore but they usually go for around $60 online and eBay. Once you upgrade to 10.5.8, you can run safari 5.0.6, which lets you do almost anything online. Or on the other hand, for the $60 you'd spend on a CD set you could probably buy another used mac online which already has 10.5.8 for almost the same price.

Best regards,

What is the latest Mac OS X I can download from apple for the eMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.