Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

brand new macbook pro has annoying fan noises all the time

I just picked up my macbook pro 13'' with retina display from apple store today, and the first time when I start it, it generates constant annoying noise! no applications run, nothing, from the moment I push the power button, it just give the noises... very disappointed at macbook pro.... Restart it, same, still gives out constant fan noises.... Even the $300, $400 cheap laptops don't have such problem....

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 10:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 10:11 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

Your Mac may be indexing files from the flash storage, and this may cause that your CPU usage is high. In this case, I recommend you to carry on using your Mac and fans will stop working at maximum speed soon.

Another thing you can try is to reset the SMC > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 The SMC is the part that manages fans speed, and if it is not working correctly, fans may not be working properly.

If the SMC reset does not work and fans carry on working at maximum speed for a long time, return your Mac and get another one.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2014 10:11 PM in response to meshellma

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

Your Mac may be indexing files from the flash storage, and this may cause that your CPU usage is high. In this case, I recommend you to carry on using your Mac and fans will stop working at maximum speed soon.

Another thing you can try is to reset the SMC > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 The SMC is the part that manages fans speed, and if it is not working correctly, fans may not be working properly.

If the SMC reset does not work and fans carry on working at maximum speed for a long time, return your Mac and get another one.

Apr 9, 2014 10:16 PM in response to meshellma

Not to discount possiblr real issues, but ... as mende1 has pointed out ...

I replaced my HD with an SSD and cloned the existing system to the SSD (which is supposed to run much cooler). For the first day after putting that SSD inside the MBP, the fans sounded like a jet engine at times as it "scanned for Spotlight Index". But after a day it quited down and I probably would have to put the system to my ear to detect the sound of fans.

Apr 9, 2014 11:30 PM in response to mende1

Hi Mende1,

It only shows the rightside fan speed. The temperature and fan speeds changes with small range. The fan speed changes from 1288~1315 rpm. The noise is quite constant. Now I am suspecting it is not from the fan. Maybe I will just bring it back to AppleStore. Thank you for your kind replies. The new macbook pro really makes me disappointed...

brand new macbook pro has annoying fan noises all the time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.