Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is the apple maintenance plan worth it?

So I am trying to improve my internet speed. All of the other computers in my house test at around 16mb/s but my macbook only gets around 2or 3. I called apple support and they said that my macbook is slow and in need of maintenance and that it would cost $200 a year for the support to get my comp up to optimal speeds. I can’t afford that right now and was wondering if it is really worth it or if they are just trying to sell maintenance plans. What are my options here? I am a broke college student but I rely on my laptop for school. Should I just save up for the plan or is it possible to clean up my mac on my own? Sorry if I am not following proper edict on this board this is my first post.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 10:08 PM

9 replies

Apr 9, 2014 10:27 PM in response to xxpiroxx

I never heard if any Apple plan that required an annual fee. During the original warranty period, one can buy AppleCare which extends the original warranty.

The Internet connection speed is affected by many factors. I would search these forums for suggestions. If you are near an Apple store, make a Genius Bar appointment. Diagnosis is free (repairs, if any, are not).

Barry

Apr 9, 2014 11:05 PM in response to xxpiroxx

Could you post a link to the number you called? Did you find it by googling? There are people who claim to be Apple support, but they're not. The number for Apple support in the US is 800-275-2273.

Apple's products are either covered by warranty or, if they're not, they will charge an approx. $35 tech support fee for the phone call).

And, if you have a problem you can take your Mac to the nearest Apple store Genius Bar and the diagnosis is free.

Apr 10, 2014 5:52 PM in response to xxpiroxx

If you want genuine protection / insurance long term, that is very cheap, look into a TYPE of insurance, called Inland marine insurance.

for drops, accidents, spills, loss, or theft, purchase a TYPE of insurance called "inland marine insurance"

roughly $30 per year for a device(s) with 0 deductible, used same for over 20 years, same insurance the pros use on their portable devices.

very cheap, very useful insurance, most people dont know about same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_marine_insurance

Apr 10, 2014 7:25 PM in response to xxpiroxx

Here is the complete Apple contact page:

http://www.apple.com/contact/

@ PlotinusVeritas:

I looked at your link; I would assume that you would

a) have to insure the item when it is new, and

b) not that many people would qualify for such insurance as it is supposed to involve transport.

User uploaded file

I certainly would not falsely state any of the above with my iMac when it has been, in fact, stationary at my house for two years and not expected to be transported in the forseeable furture either.

Apr 10, 2014 7:33 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

I looked at your link; I would assume that you would

a) have to insure the item when it is new, and

b) not that many people would qualify for such insurance as it is supposed to involve transport.

I certainly would not falsely state any of the above with my iMac when it has been, in fact, stationary at my house for two years and not expected to be transported in the forseeable furture either.

A: absolutely not the case, no. You can have NEW insurance on , for example, a 5 year old macbook etc.

B: Actually, I only recently found out that it covers BOTH portable AND homebound items, since I also have 2 home-bound Mac Mini also under said insurance type.

So, yes, you can cover an Imac, or Mac mini , Mac Pro etc. under such a type of insurance.

In such as case, this is very handy for items NOT portable, but you want out of warranty coverage for, .......as per my out of warranty Mac Minis.

Been using this TYPE of insurance now for almost 20 years. Very inexpensive.

I have 4 Macs, 2 minis, macbook Air, and macbook Pro all covered for under $80

Costs would vary obviously based upon many variables.

Apr 10, 2014 8:48 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

I just sent an email to my agent asking for info and clarification; however, what I saw here would not be appropriate (in my opinion) to replace either Applecare or home/property insurance:

https://www.statefarm.com/small-business-solutions/insurance/inland-marine-mobil e-property

State farm is what I use. Been using that insurance for very long time.

Made a couple claims in that time.

you dont have to be a business to have that insurance, any person, business or not, home insurance or not. Doesnt matter.

your statement is odd. Inland marine is incredibly cheap, 0 deductible.

If you drop your macbook in the lake, covered

stolen, covered.

if the logic board dies, you get it fixed, pay for the repair, present the bill and they give you a check for the cost of it.

Property insurance has serious deductibles, inland marine has 0$

surely you have also a macbook or other portable

only thing you CANNOT cover with it , are Ipads and cellphones

However I know of no property insurance (maybe there is one) that covers your notebook(s) while on the go,....etc.

is the apple maintenance plan worth it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.