Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod runs slowly and crashes often. Is there something I can do to improve its performance?

I have several complaints about my 2-year-old 4th generation iPod Touch. First, apps frequently crash when I launch them. Second, performance is slow in almost all apps. Third, when I use the iPod to read items from the internet, either in Safari or in Chrome or in an RSS reader app I find that some pages simply won't scroll properly. Or they constantly blink in and out of existence. What are some troubleshooting steps I can follow to try to address these problems? Or is this just part of planned obsolescence?

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 4:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 4:39 AM

Periodically double click the home button and close all the apps in the recently used dock. Then power off and then back on the iPod. This frees up memory. The 4G only has 256 MB of memory.

Next, as necessary

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2014 4:39 AM in response to akeller1976

Periodically double click the home button and close all the apps in the recently used dock. Then power off and then back on the iPod. This frees up memory. The 4G only has 256 MB of memory.

Next, as necessary

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

Apr 14, 2014 4:08 AM in response to lllaass

A reset didn't solve the problem. I already knew about removing recent apps from memory: it wasn't helping but I didn't say so in my original post. After updating to the most recent version of iTunes I ran the Restore function. First I turned off "Find my iPod" so it wouldn't give me problems when I restored the devices. It automatically ran a back-up even though I had just synced and backed up. The software downloaded the OS, reinstalled it and then restored all of my apps and content. So far it seems to be working a bit better. Time will tell.

My iPod runs slowly and crashes often. Is there something I can do to improve its performance?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.