Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't Apple TV's and iOS devices see home sharing on my Windows 7 computer when iTunes libraries on other computers on the same network and connected to the same Home Sharing can?

I have never previously had any problems with Home Sharing, I have always found it to be completely reliable as advertised. I have 2 computers in the house, (one MacBook and one Windows Desktop) connected to the same Home Sharing account, connected to the same BT Home Hub 4. My situation is that I have nearly 2TB of data of which I would like to share with the home wirelessly, in my mind the desktop is the logical place for this to be shared from.

When running, iTunes on this desktop broadcasts to other iTunes libraries, but no other iOS devices or Apple TV's connected to the same Home Sharing account cannot see it.

I have tried turning Home Sharing off, and then turning it back on, closing iTunes, restarting the computer, going to Network and Sharing Centre and unticking IPv6 in the network adapter properties, even completely wiping the computer and reinstalling Windows 7.

One of the Apple TV's in the house was recently purchased by my parents with the promise from me that everything would work seamlessly... so far it isn't and I am frustrated that the Apple technology that I have come to rely on isn't working as expected.

One thing that has occurred to me upon writing this is that it is a very large amount of data, and I have not attempted to share this with another computer that is currently working and broadcasting it's Home Share fine.

I am sorry if I have ommitted any important details, any further questions don't hesitate to ask. I would be so grateful of any suggestions, my parents are depending on me.

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 3:00 AM

1 reply

Apr 17, 2014 4:32 PM in response to kitch1406

I have found with AppleTV that it is the IPV6 on the computer you want to access is the problem. The issue is that Homegroup on Win 7 or Win 8 requires IPV6 to work, but AppleTV won't work with IPV6. (So maybe double check you have IPV6 turned off)

So you have to make a choice - Homegroup or AppleTV.... but you can't have both, until Apple brings ATV up to date. (crazy that it does not recognise IPV6 - c'mon Apple!)

You can set up sharing individually in Win 7 or 8 and have the ATV access files that way.

Having said that, there is always the exception.. I have an old HP home server running Win8 and it services ATV - but is part of the Homegroup... have no idea why it works on both, but no other machine on the home network will talk to both ATV and Homegroup at the same time!

Why can't Apple TV's and iOS devices see home sharing on my Windows 7 computer when iTunes libraries on other computers on the same network and connected to the same Home Sharing can?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.