Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Mini Bought From Auction But Locked With iCloud

Basically I have just purchased an iPad Mini from a very famous auction called wellers, as i was trying to set it up it gave me a message saying ' Activate Ipad - This iPad is currently linked to an Apple ID (s-----@icloud.co). Sign in with the Apple ID that was used to set up this iPad ' Seeing as i bought this from an auction, i can't contact the previous owner. I have given apple all proof of purchase, including the invoice but they still refuse to unock the iPad. A company as big as Apple should be able to sort out a problem like this. It's like me buying a car from an auction, but not receiving the keys and having to go to the previous owner ( who i cant contact in any way or form ) and ask for the keys. Apple, seriously sort this out. The biggest company in the world and you can't fix a minor problem like this?😠😕

iPad, iOS 7

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 6:05 AM

2 replies

Apr 10, 2014 6:28 AM in response to Angelo318

It's not a problem. It is an intentional protection for people who have had their devices lost or stolen. The fact that you can show that you purchased it from someone does not obviate the possibility that it was originally a stolen device.

Take it back, get a refund. Apple will not, under any circumstances, remove an Activation Lock just because you want them to:

ACTIVATION LOCK

Now you know. It is your responsibility to verify that any device you are purchasing 2nd hand is ready for your use.

It is not like buying a car from an auction and not getting the keys - it is like buying a house without having a title search done. If you don't have the title search done, and there is a lien on the house - that's too bad for you. Same principle here. Do your homework.

GB

iPad Mini Bought From Auction But Locked With iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.