Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod was wiped of all music...

The computer that my iPod classic was sync'd with has been long dead and is not backed up (I know, I know). Last night I tried to plug in my iPod to another computer and manually transfer music (as I have done many times in the past), the iPod froze then rebooted, when it restarted there were no files at all.

What are my options if I am to try to recover these files? Should I make a 'Genuis Bar' reservation and pray they can do something, or is there any software out there I can try, or should I just mourn the loss of my entire music catalogue?

Adam

iPod classic, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 12:53 PM

It is possible that the iPod's hard drive is becoming unreliable, or has corrupted data. Like all hard drive, if the portion that contains an "index" of all files becomes corrupted, the hard drive losed track of some or all of its files. That is why it is a good idea to back up important data on hard drives, because they can fail without warning (especially an iPod's hard drive that is inside a handheld mobile device that gets jossled about in use). Keeping your only copy of song files on an iPod is a big risk, because it can become lost, broken, or in need of a Restore.

An iPod is essentially an external drive, so you may be able to use general data recovery software to recovery some of the song files. This type of software is typically used when a computer hard drive becomes corrupted and "loses" its data.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2014 12:53 PM in response to Adam Preocanin

It is possible that the iPod's hard drive is becoming unreliable, or has corrupted data. Like all hard drive, if the portion that contains an "index" of all files becomes corrupted, the hard drive losed track of some or all of its files. That is why it is a good idea to back up important data on hard drives, because they can fail without warning (especially an iPod's hard drive that is inside a handheld mobile device that gets jossled about in use). Keeping your only copy of song files on an iPod is a big risk, because it can become lost, broken, or in need of a Restore.

An iPod is essentially an external drive, so you may be able to use general data recovery software to recovery some of the song files. This type of software is typically used when a computer hard drive becomes corrupted and "loses" its data.

My iPod was wiped of all music...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.