Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Regarding the internet breech as seen on the news. What advice is Apple giving to its computer, iPad, and phone users?

Regarding the internet breech as seen on the news. What advice is Apple giving to its computer, iPad, and phone users?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 8:16 AM

9 replies

Apr 10, 2014 8:40 AM in response to Grammy Apple

That does not affect any OS X client or iOS, and there is no action for you or Apple to take.

Ignore hyperventilating popular media outlets that thrive by promoting fear and discord with entertainment products arrogantly presented as "news". Learn what real threats actually exist and how to arm yourself against them:

• The most serious threat to your data security is phishing. To date, most of these attempts have been pathetic and are easily recognized, but that is likely to change in the future as criminals become more clever.
  • OS X viruses do not exist, but intentionally malicious or poorly written code, created by either nefarious or inept individuals, is nothing new.
  • Never install something without first knowing what it is, what it does, how it works, and how to get rid of it when you don’t want it any more.
  • If you elect to use "anti-virus" software, familiarize yourself with its limitations and potential to cause adverse effects, and apply the principle immediately preceding this one.
  • Most such utilities will only slow down and destabilize your Mac while they look for viruses that do not exist, conveying no benefit whatsoever - other than to make you "feel good" about security, when you should actually be exercising sound judgment, derived from accurate knowledge, based on verifiable facts.

Apr 10, 2014 8:40 AM in response to Yer_Man

I understand that it is not Apple. But there is discussion about what we should do, as in change all of our passwords, not use Safari for a while, etc. Some of the information is contradictory. I thought coming to this discussion group would help clarify the situation and perhaps advise in steps we should take for security. I could read everything written right now and probably just be confused. Community support, that is why I posted this on the discssion group. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there feeling somewhat helpless. I manage my technology as well as the next person, but I'm just the average person, no claim to expertise.

Apr 10, 2014 8:46 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you John. Media loves a good story and I understand that in everything sensationalism rules. I was concerned that my technology knowledge might miss something in sorting through the information on the Heartbleed that is being disclosed. Your list of "real" threats is reassuring! Nothing knew in that list, but things that are a good review!

Thanks Apple Community for great support!

Apr 10, 2014 8:52 AM in response to Grammy Apple

Grammy Apple there really is no action you need to take, other than usual ones you ought to be doing anyway, such as changing your passwords once in a while, not using the same password for everything you do, and not using trivial passwords that are easily guessed.

Those are all good practices because the threat today might be Heartbleed, tomorrow it might be something else.

Apr 11, 2014 6:31 AM in response to MadMacs0

Thank you MadMac0,

That is a great article and I will share it with others. Both John and you have given good information and sound advice. It has helped me to understand more about the situation and also reminded me of good sound technology security. I will go back now and read the related articles listed at the end of the article you provided. Before I brought my fears and questions to the Apple Community, I had read some articles online. But there was so much, and some contradictory, I realized I didn't know which sources were reputable. Love my technology and not ready to give it up, so working to just sort of stay even or at the very least, stay in the game!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.