Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert USB 3.0 to FireWire

I use a MacBook Pro 2009 and has USB 2.0 and FireWire and no USB 3.0 interfaces. I have just pruchased new external hard-drive with usb 3.0. I want try harness some of that USB 3.0 speed on the go and not be limited by USB 2.0 alll the time.

Hence my question; Is there any way to convert USB 3.0 to FireWire?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), MacBook Pro 13" mid 2009

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 7:50 AM

4 replies

Apr 10, 2014 8:08 AM in response to darkhorse85

Yes, but the two protocols are completely different from one another. To convert the signals would require a converter designed for that specific purpose, and you would be limited to FW800 speeds anyway.

An external hard disk drive with a FireWire interface would be far more cost effective. Return what you bought and purchase one appropriate for your needs. 1 TB models are available for ± $150 USD.

Apr 11, 2014 9:57 AM in response to John Galt

I understand I would be limited to the lesser of the two. Being able to run at FireWire 800 speeds would be great much faster than the current USB 2.0.

Seen as I have already purchased a my external hard drive so I can't go out buy another one now. The one I have is suitable for my needs. You mentioned it would cheaper to buy an XHD with FireWire, why is this? How much do you think and adapter is going to set me back by?

Thanks

Apr 11, 2014 10:04 AM in response to darkhorse85

The speed for FireWire 800 is -> 800 MBit/s (hence it's name). Since you would only be able to get USB 2.0 -> 480MBits/s out of the USB 3.0 drive that you purchased, it just makes (speed) sense to exchange the external drive for one that has FireWire 800, or, if you're planning on getting a new Mac in the near future, staying with the ever-so-slow USB 2.0 throughput that you can get with your current configuration.

Good luck,

Clinton

Apr 11, 2014 10:15 AM in response to darkhorse85

I don't think an adapter like that exists. It would have a very limited market, since anyone concerned with speed would just go with a Firewire 800 interface. Plus, the Firewire technology is mostly in decline now. As John suggested, you'd be better off with a new drive if you really need the speed.

While Firewire is faster than USB 2.0, it's not a screaming fast difference even with a native Firewire interface. A converter would have to slow things down due to conversion. I think you'd be lucky to end up back at USB 2.0.

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Portable-External-FireWire-WDBGJA0010BBK-NESN/dp/ B00CO1HUGU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397236327&sr=1-1&keywords=firew ire+800+external+hard+drive

Convert USB 3.0 to FireWire

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.