Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

two step import, downsizing image file sizes and/or keeping copies?

hi all,

leonie was kind enough on another thread to suggest a two step import from the iphone in order to make sure that there is no accidental deletion or data loss. my understanding (i'm repeating it here myself in case i am misunderstanding) is that this routine involves 1. importing images into Aperture via the conventional import method and then 2. backing up to iTunes (to save the images) and 3. verifying (visually i think) that the images are in the Aperture database and then if so allow Aperture to delete all the images from the iPhone.

this seems to make sense to me but i realized i had a couple of questions about general "photo hygiene" related to this kind of thing.

1. is there some way to downsize file size after images are imported into Aperture? i take a ton of photos and only some are important to keep at a high resolution and i feel like i am stuck between having a huge Aperture database cluttered with lots of photos at high resolution /or/ turning down the file size and finding that i have an important image that is at a low resolution because i forgot to turn up the file size (i think these are in settings somewhere in my phone) before i took the photo or only realized later that it was important to have this image at higher resolution. if i could downsize while thinking about it in Aperture this seems like it would work.

2. does anyone keep an external copy of their images outside of the Aperture database?

thanks

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Boot Camp of Windows 7 + Windows XP

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 12:08 PM

is there some way to downsize file size after images are imported into Aperture?

No. The whole point of Aperture is to preserve the original, untouched.

2. does anyone keep an external copy of their images outside of the Aperture database?

A bit vague. Do you mean as a referenced Library? Or as an extra copy as a back up. People do both.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2014 12:08 PM in response to hotwheels22

is there some way to downsize file size after images are imported into Aperture?

No. The whole point of Aperture is to preserve the original, untouched.

A bit vague. Do you mean as a referenced Library? Or as an extra copy as a back up. People do both.

Apr 10, 2014 1:48 PM in response to Yer_Man

hi terence,

thank you.

so can i ask if anyone is using an iphone and/or what setting(s) and/or resolution folks are using?

i guess i have a bit of a dilemma in that i take a ton of photos and i only use one at a high resolution while the others can be something as insignificant as a visual note to myself. and it kind of kills me that these could be 1.2 MB in that i have a lot of them. i sort of wish there was a way to downsample imagery since a lot of these are not so important.

anyway. yeah i guess i was wondering if folks do a referenced library or keep an extra copy as a backup (i guess i am 'embedding' images in the library but i forget what i call this in aperture) - and i have started to wonder if there is some utility to doing a referenced library or keeping a backup but this seems like overkill while at the same time a referenced library would allow me the ability to downsample images from what i can tell but i am just guessing here since i haven't tried this method.

thanks.

two step import, downsizing image file sizes and/or keeping copies?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.